UNCG travels to ACC foe Maryland on Wednesday
UNCG (0-7, 0-2 SoCon) at Maryland (6-3, 0-0 ACC)
Comcast Center • College Park, Md.
Dec. 8, 2010 • Game 8
TV: Comcast SportsNet (Mike Reghi, Ron Thompson)
Radio: WCOG 1320-AM (Scott Pryzwansky & Stan Lewter)
Internet: Spartan All Access (Free video audio)
• UNCG enters the brutal stretch of its schedule on Wednesday as the Spartans head to College Park, Md. to face ACC foe Maryland. The game is the first of three-straight games that UNCG will face an ACC team on the road. After Wednesday, the Spartans will travel to Wake Forest on Dec. 15 and then head to Clemson on Dec. 19. After a home game against Richmond on Dec. 22, the Spartans will host defending National Champion Duke on Dec. 29.
• The Spartans are 0-3 all-time against the Terrapins, including a 97-63 loss last season in the Greensboro Coliseum. The teams also met in 1992 and 2003 in College Park. All three wins by the Terps have come by 27 points or more.
• Last time out, the Spartans fell in their SoCon home opener on Monday to Furman, 81-68. UNCG played a solid first 16 1/2 minutes and found itself leading by three, but the Paladins would close the half on a 13-2 run over the final 3:21 to take an eight point lead into the locker room. Brandon Evans was one of four players in double figures with 16.
• UNCG is winless in its seven outings, having already faced three very tough opponents in VCU, Florida State and Virginia Tech. The road doesn't get any easier until after the New Year as the Spartans will face four ACC teams, including No. 1 Duke, as well as Richmond who defeated No. 8 Purdue earlier this season. The 0-7 start by the Spartans ties the worst start in school history, matching the 1967-68 and 1968-69 teams.
• Against N.C. A&T, the final score wasn't indicative of the game. UNCG led for most of the first half and the Spartans trailed by just three points with just over two minutes remaining, but the Aggies ended the game on a 19-4 run.
• Junior College transfer Aloysius Henry has provided an immediate spark in the post for the Spartans. He currently leads the team in scoring (11.9 ppg) and rebounding (5.6 rpg), while shooting 53.2% from the field.
• The Spartans have had a considerably new look over the last two seasons. In fact, just one person in uniform today was in uniform in the 2008-09 opener at Charlotte – Elhanan Bone. Brandon Evans was sitting out after transferring from East Carolina and Darrius Sellers was injured. From then to tonight, there are 15 new players on the UNCG roster, five that made their debut at VCU and three more that made their debut against Florida St.
• UNCG returns just one starter from last season, that being point guard Kyle Randall. In all, the Spartans returns 28.5 points per game from last season (averaged 63.4 as a team).
UNCG vs. Maryland - Maryland leads 3-0
Feb. 25, 1992 L 55-84 College Park, Md.
Dec. 23, 2003 L 58-85 College Park, Md.
Jan. 3, 2010 L 63-97 Greensboro, N.C.
Breaking it all down:
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 70.0 (175)
Rebounds: 13.6 (73)
Assists: 11.4 (278)
FG%: 42.4% (229)
FT%: 66.3% (226)
3P%: 35.5% (130)
Points: 89.4 (344)
Rebounds: 20.1 (326)
Assists: 17.6 (343)
FG%: 52.2% (346)
FT%: 71.9% (289)
3P%: 43.1% (338)
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 76.2 (71)
Rebounds: 14.0 (59)
Assists: 14.9 (84)
FG%: 48.0% (36)
FT%: 64.1% (266)
3P%: 30.4% (270)
Points: 64.7 (119)
Rebounds: 27.3 (38)
Assists: 11.9 (133)
FG%: 37.7% (34)
FT%: 69.1% (212)
3P%: 28.6% (42)