UNCG set for tilt with Wake Forest on ESPNU
UNCG (0-8) at Wake Forest (5-4)
Lawrence Joel Coliseum • Winston-Salem, N.C.
Dec. 15, 2010 • Game 9
TV: ESPNU (Doug Sherman, Derek Whittenburg)
Radio: WCOG 1320-AM (Scott Pryzwansky & Stan Lewter)
Internet: Spartan All Access (Free audio) / LiveStats: UNCGSpartans.com
• UNCG will continue its brutal three-game ACC roadstand on Wednesday as the Spartans make the short trip to Winston-Salem, N.C. to face Wake Forest at 7 p.m. The Spartans traveled to Maryland last week to start their road trip and will end it on Sunday with a trip to Clemson. Things don't get any easier after that as UNCG then has a home game against Richmond on Dec. 22 before hosting defending National Champion Duke on Dec. 29.
• The Spartans are 0-4 all-time against the Deacs, with the last meeting being a nine-point loss back in 1999. All four meetings between the teams have been played in Winston-Salem. The two sides also met in 1991, 94 and 98.
• Last time out, the Spartans fell at Maryland last Wednesday, 99-56. UNCG trailed by just five points with under 10 minutes remaining in the first half, but the Terrapins outscored the Spartans 77-39 the rest of the way to cruise to victory. Kyle Randall led UNCG with 18 points and seven assists, while Aloysius Henry added 11 points and eight boards.
• UNCG is winless in its eight outings, having already faced four very tough opponents in VCU, Florida State, Virginia Tech and Maryland. The road doesn't get any easier until after the New Year as the Spartans will face three more ACC teams, including No. 1 Duke, as well as Richmond who defeated No. 8 Purdue earlier this season. The 0-8 start by the Spartans marks the worst start in school history, breaking the record set by the 1967-68 and 1968-69 teams, which both started 0-7.
• Against N.C. A&T, the final score wasn't indicative of the game. UNCG led for most of the first half and the Spartans trailed by just three points with just over two minutes remaining, but the Aggies ended the game on a 19-4 run.
• Junior College transfer Aloysius Henry has provided an immediate spark in the post for the Spartans. He currently is second on the team in scoring (11.8 ppg) and first in rebounding (5.9 rpg), while shooting 50.7% from the field.
• The Spartans have had a considerably new look over the last two seasons. In fact, just one person in uniform today was in uniform in the 2008-09 opener at Charlotte – Elhanan Bone. Brandon Evans was sitting out after transferring from East Carolina and Darrius Sellers was injured. From then to tonight, there are 15 new players on the UNCG roster, five that made their debut at VCU and three more that made their debut against Florida St.
• UNCG returns just one starter from last season, that being point guard Kyle Randall. In all, the Spartans returns 28.5 points per game from last season (averaged 63.4 as a team).
UNCG vs. Wake Forest - Wake Forest leads 4-0
Nov. 23, 1991 L 59-87 Winston-Salem, N.C.
Nov. 26, 1994 L 55-75 Winston-Salem, N.C.
Nov. 18, 1998 L 45-82 Winston-Salem, N.C.
Dec. 15, 1999 L 62-71 Winston-Salem, N.C.
Breaking it all down:
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 68.3 (207)
Rebounds: 13.1 (82)
Assists: 11.3 (284)
FG%: 41.1% (270)
FT%: 67.5% (192)
3P%: 34.6% (156)
Points: 90.6 (346)
Rebounds: 20.3 (326)
Assists: 18.4 (344)
FG%: 52.2% (346)
FT%: 70.3% (248)
3P%: 43.0% (342)
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 75.0 (83)
Rebounds: 8.6 (321)
Assists: 12.3 (234)
FG%: 46.3% (68)
FT%: 77.1% (19)
3P%: 44.7% (3)
Points: 73.9 (291)
Rebounds: 27.6 (23)
Assists: 14.3 (271)
FG%: 42.8% (193)
FT%: 64.7% (77)
3P%: 33.0% (157)