UNCG (0-9) at Clemson (6-4)
Littlejohn Coliseum • Clemson, S.C.
Dec. 19, 2010 • Game 10
TV: FOX Sports South (Chip Caray, Dan Bonner)
Radio: WCOG 1320-AM (Scott Pryzwansky & Stan Lewter)
Internet: Spartan All Access (Free audio) / LiveStats: UNCGSpartans.com
• UNCG will wrap up its brutal three-game ACC roadstand on Sunday as the Spartans travel to Clemson, S.C. to face the Tigers at 2 p.m. Last Wednesday, the Spartans traveled up to Maryland to face the Terrapins and this past Wednesday UNCG made the short trip to face Wake Forest. Things don't get much easier after that as UNCG has a home game against Richmond on Dec. 22 before hosting defending National Champion Duke on Dec. 29.
• The Spartans have dropped the only two meetings with the Tigers, including an 89-67 loss in the home-opener for UNCG last year to the 22nd-ranked Tigers. Prior to last year, the only meeting between the two sides came in 1992 when the Spartans fell 88-62 in Littlejohn Coliseum.
• On Wednesday night, UNCG nearly recorded its first win of the season as the Spartans narrowly fell on the road to Wake Forest, 69-67. The Spartans had a chance to tie the game on a free throw with 12 seconds left and win the game on a shot in the final seconds, but UNCG couldn't convert either opportunity. Kyle Randall left four UNCG players in double figures with 15 points, while Korey Van Dussen had 14. Aloysius Henry and Brandon Evans were also in double figures with 12 and 11 points, respectively.
• UNCG is winless in its nine outings, having already faced four very tough opponents in VCU, Florida State, Virginia Tech and Maryland. The road doesn't get any easier until after the New Year as the Spartans will face two more ACC teams, including No. 1 Duke, as well as Richmond who defeated No. 8 Purdue earlier this season. The 0-9 start by the Spartans marks the worst start in school history, breaking the record set by the 1967-68 and 1968-69 teams, which both started 0-7.
• Against N.C. A&T, the final score wasn't indicative of the game. UNCG led for most of the first half and the Spartans trailed by just three points with just over two minutes remaining, but the Aggies ended the game on a 19-4 run.
• Junior College transfer Aloysius Henry has provided an immediate spark in the post for the Spartans. He currently is second on the team in scoring (11.8 ppg) and first in rebounding (5.8 rpg), while shooting 50.0% from the field.
• The Spartans have had a considerably new look over the last two seasons. In fact, just one person in uniform today was in uniform in the 2008-09 opener at Charlotte – Elhanan Bone. Brandon Evans was sitting out after transferring from East Carolina and Darrius Sellers was injured. From then to tonight, there are 15 new players on the UNCG roster, five that made their debut at VCU and three more that made their debut against Florida St.
• UNCG returns just one starter from last season, that being point guard Kyle Randall. In all, the Spartans returns 28.5 points per game from last season (averaged 63.4 as a team).
UNCG vs. Clemson - Clemson leads 2-0
Dec. 12, 1992 L 62-88 Clemson, S.C.
Nov. 20, 2009 L 67-89 Greensboro, N.C. (Colis.)
Breaking it all down:
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 68.1 (207)
Rebounds: 13.1 (88)
Assists: 11.0 (298)
FG%: 41.1% (270)
FT%: 66.8% (205)
3P%: 35.7% (127)
Points: 88.2 (345)
Rebounds: 19.7 (340)
Assists: 17.8 (343)
FG%: 52.0% (346)
FT%: 69.4% (230)
3P%: 41.7% (340)
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 67.8 (212)
Rebounds: 11.8 (169)
Assists: 11.2 (291)
FG%: 43.2% (211)
FT%: 67.2% (189)
3P%: 32.8% (208)
Points: 61.0 (47)
Rebounds: 22.6 (264)
Assists: 11.2 (77)
FG%: 41.6% (141)
FT%: 67.2% (155)
3P%: 31.7% (111)