Samford (9-5, 1-1 SoCon) at UNCG (0-12, 0-2 SoCon)
Greensboro Coliseum • Greensboro, N.C.
Jan. 6, 2011 • Game 13
Radio: WCOG 1320-AM (Scott Pryzwansky & Stan Lewter)
Internet: Spartan All Access (Free video & audio)
• UNCG will ring in the New Year as the Spartans get back into Southern Conference play and host fellow North-Division foe Samford on Thursday at 7 p.m. The game will be the third SoCon contest for the Spartans this season after facing Wofford and Furman back in early December.
• The Bulldogs lead the all-time series against the Spartans, 5-1, dating back to 1992. The lone win for UNCG in the series came in December of last season as the Spartans traveled down to Birmingham, Ala. and cruised to a 73-40 win over the Bulldogs. Samford avenged that loss later in the season with a three-point win in Fleming Gymnasium.
• Last Wednesday, the Spartans faced No. 1 Duke before a sellout crowd and a nationally televised audience on ESPNU. UNCG dropped the game, 108-62, that saw Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski move into second place all-time for the most win's in Division I history. It also marked the third time in school history that the Spartans have face the No. 1 team in the nation.
• On Dec. 22, the Spartans returned home for the first time since Dec. 6 and fell to Richmond 63-53. UNCG cut the Spider lead to five with six minutes remaining, but weren't able to get any closer. Trevis Simpson was in double figures for the second-straight game with 14 points to lead the Spartans.
• On Dec. 19, the Spartans traveled down to Clemson to face their fifth ACC opponent of the season. The Tigers jumped out to a 21-point halftime lead before UNCG came out with a 7-0 run to start the second half and a 16-0 run midway through the half to pull within two. The Tigers responded with a 15-2 run to pull away late.
• The 22,178 fans that attended the Spartans' contest against No. 1 Duke on Dec. 29 in the Greensboro Coliseum marked the largest crowd to ever see a UNCG contest, either home or away. The attendance broke the previous school record set in 2005 when UNCG also hosted No. 1 Duke in the Coliseum.
• UNCG is winless in its 12 outings, having already faced five ACC opponents and very tough Richmond and VCU teams. The road doesn't get any easier until after the New Year as the Spartans will face defending National Champion No. 1 Duke. The 0-11 start by the Spartans marks the worst start in school history, breaking the record set by the 1967-68 and 1968-69 teams, which both started 0-7.
• Junior College transfer Aloysius Henry has provided an immediate spark in the post for the Spartans. He currently leads the team in scoring (11.3 ppg) and is also first in rebounding (5.8 rpg), while shooting 46.7% from the field.
• The Spartans have had a considerably new look over the last two seasons. In fact, just one person in uniform today was in uniform in the 2008-09 opener at Charlotte – Elhanan Bone. Brandon Evans was sitting out after transferring from East Carolina and Darrius Sellers was injured.
UNCG vs. Samford - Samford leads 5-1
Jan. 23, 1992 L 53-56 Birmingham, Ala.
Jan. 18, 1993 L 66-81 Greensboro, N.C.
Jan. 24, 2009 L 61-76 Greensboro, N.C.
Feb. 12, 2009 L 60-73 Birmingham, Ala.
Dec. 5, 2009 W 73-40 Birmingham, Ala.
Jan. 23, 2010 L 67-70 Greensboro, N.C.
Breaking it all down:
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 65.8 (253)
Rebounds: 13.1 (79)
Assists: 11.2 (296)
FG%: 40.6% (288)
FT%: 67.4% (202)
3P%: 36.2% (112)
Points: 86.3 (344)
Rebounds: 19.8 (337)
Assists: 17.7 (342)
FG%: 52.1% (346)
FT%: 69.8% (246)
3P%: 41.3% (344)
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 62.9 (296)
Rebounds: 5.8 (345)
Assists: 14.6 (91)
FG%: 43.9% (177)
FT%: 65.5% (259)
3P%: 39.0% (38)
Points: 62.6 (61)
Rebounds: 23.0 (226)
Assists: 11.5 (94)
FG%: 40.0% (64)
FT%: 69.4% (226)
3P%: 35.3% (231)