Elon (7-8, 1-3 SoCon) at UNCG (0-14, 0-4 SoCon)
Greensboro Coliseum • Greensboro, N.C.
Jan. 10, 2011 • Game 15 • 7 p.m.
Radio: WCOG 1320-AM & WZTK 101.1 FM (Scott Pryzwansky & Stan Lewter)
Internet: Spartan All Access (Free video & audio)
• UNCG will end its five-game homestand on Monday as the Spartans host SoCon rival Elon at 7 p.m. in the Greensboro Coliseum. The game will also end a stretch that saw the Spartans play three games in five days.
• The Phoenix lead the all-time series against the Spartans, 15-13, dating back to 1971-72 season. Last season, the Spartans won the opening contest between the two schools, 62-55, in the Coliseum. That win marked the seventh win in a row for UNCG against the Phoenix. Elon snapped that streak a few weeks later with a 70-65 win in Elon.
• Elon is coming off its first Southern Conference win this season as it defeated Samford, 67-54, on Saturday afternoon in Alumni Gym. Drew Spradlin scored a season-high 26 points for the Phoenix in the win. The game will mark the third time that Elon has played in the Greensboro Coliseum after hosting Wake Forest and NC State earlier this year.
• On Saturday, UNCG fell in a close game for the second time in as many outings as the Spartans lost to Chattanooga, 70-65. A jumper from Aloysius Henry in the paint tied the game at 63 with 1:34 remaining, but the Mocs closed the game on a 7-2 run. UNCG has now lost its last two games by a combined nine points after falling to Samford, 68-64, on Thursday.
• On Dec. 29, the Spartans faced No. 1 Duke before a sellout crowd and a nationally televised audience on ESPNU. UNCG dropped the game, 108-62, that saw Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski move into second place all-time for the most win's in Division I history. It also marked the third time that the Spartans have faced the No. 1 team in the nation.
• The 22,178 fans that attended the Spartans' contest against No. 1 Duke on Dec. 29 in the Greensboro Coliseum marked the largest crowd to ever see a UNCG contest, either home or away. The attendance broke the previous school record set in 2005 when UNCG also hosted No. 1 Duke in the Coliseum.
• UNCG is winless in its 14 outings, having already faced six ACC opponents and very tough Richmond and VCU teams. The 0-14 start by the Spartans marks the worst start in school history, breaking the record set by the 1967-68 and 1968-69 teams, which both started 0-7. The 15 game losing streak dating back to last season is the longest losing streak in school history and the Spartans are now just one of four teams in Division I without a victory.
• Junior College transfer Aloysius Henry has provided an immediate spark in the post for the Spartans. He currently leads the team in scoring (11.6 ppg) and is also first in rebounding (6.3 rpg), while shooting 45.5% from the field.
• The Spartans have had a considerably new look over the last two seasons. In fact, just one person in uniform today was in uniform in the 2008-09 opener at Charlotte – Elhanan Bone. Brandon Evans was sitting out after transferring from East Carolina and Darrius Sellers was injured.
UNCG vs. Elon - Elon leads 15-13
Jan. 19, 2008 W 61-57 Elon, N.C.
Feb. 2, 2008 W 89-60 Greensboro, N.C.
Jan. 17, 2009 W 89-72 Elon, N.C.
Feb. 28, 2009 W 74-66 Greensboro, N.C.
Jan. 28, 2010 W 62-55 Greensboro, N.C. (Colis.)
Feb. 17, 2010 L 65-70 Elon, N.C.
Breaking it all down:
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 65.6 (257)
Rebounds: 12.6 (106)
Assists: 11.0 (296)
FG%: 40.4% (294)
FT%: 66.4% (237)
3P%: 34.9% (151)
Points: 83.9 (343)
Rebounds: 20.2 (335)
Assists: 16.9 (341)
FG%: 50.6% (346)
FT%: 68.8% (197)
3P%: 40.3% (337)
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 75.1 (70)
Rebounds: 10.3 (272)
Assists: 14.4 (97)
FG%: 42.9% (215)
FT%: 71.6% (89)
3P%: 38.4% (42)
Points: 74.7 (302)
Rebounds: 24.7 (115)
Assists: 12.4 (141)
FG%: 46.3% (301)
FT%: 67.0% (126)
3P%: 34.6% (201)