UNCG (5-18, 5-8) at Coll. of Charleston (18-7, 11-2)
Carolina First Arena • Charleston, S.C.
Feb. 12, 2011 • Game 24 • 7 p.m.
TV: Comcast Sports Southeast (Warren Peper & John Kresse)
Radio: WCOG 1320-AM (Scott Pryzwansky & Rick Duckett)
Internet: CofCSports.com / LiveStats: CofCSports.com
• Coming off an impressive 86-74 win over The Citadel on Monday night, UNCG will look to make it two in a row as the Spartans hit the road to face South-Division leading College of Charleston on Saturday at 4 p.m. The game will be televised on Comcast Sports Southeast.
• The Cougars lead the all-time series against the Spartans, 19-7, dating back to the first game in school history in 1967. This meeting with be the lone matchup between the two sides this season. Last season, UNCG fell at home to the Cougars, 67-64. The Spartans had two chances at game-tying 3-point attempts in the final 20 seconds, but both were off of the mark. The Cougars were led by a season-high 28 points from Andrew Goudelock.
• On Monday night, UNCG came out victorious at home as it defeated The Citadel, 86-74. Brian Cole had 20 of his career-high 24 points in the first half to give UNCG a 48-36 lead at the break. Kyle Randall added 20 points on 8-10 shooting, while Trevis Simpson and Aaron Brackett were also in double figures with 15 and 12 points, respectively.
• The Bulldogs come into the contest on a three-game winning streak after defeating Elon, 85-67, on Wednesday night. The Cougars have won six of their last seven games too, with their only loss coming at Davidson, 75-64, on Jan. 29. College of Charleston currently has a two game lead for first place in the South Division with an 11-2 mark.
• The scoring for UNCG this season seems to come from a different scorer every night. The Spartans have had an amazing seven different players score 23 or more points in a single game this season. Korey Van Dussen and Trevis Simpson have scored 33 in a game, while Brandon Evans and Aaron Brackett have added 28 in contests this year. Aloysius Henry had 26 in a game, Cole had 24 points on Monday and Kyle Randall scored 23 earlier this season.
• Last Saturday, UNCG traveled up to Western Carolina and dropped an 83-73 decision. Brandon Evans led UNCG with 21 points, while Aaron Brackett added 14 points and 10 rebounds. The Spartans used a 15-0 run in the second half to make it a one-point game with 8 minutes left, but the Catamounts pulled away late for the win.
• Despite only starting in three games, Trevis Simpson now leads the Spartans in scoring with 10.8 ppg. Brandon Evans is second in the conference in 3-point percentage at 46.6% from behind the arc and would be fifth nationally, but he fails to reach to NCAA minimum of 2.5 3-point field goals made per game.
• UNCG has five scorers who average double figure points. Simpson leads the team at 10.8 ppg, while Kyle Randall (10.5), Brandon Evans (10.3), Korey Van Dussen (10.2 ppg) and Aloysius Henry (10.5) are also in double figures.
• UNCG was winless in its first 15 outings this season after facing six ACC opponents and very tough teams in Richmond and VCU. The 0-15 start by the Spartans marked the worst start in school history, breaking the record set by the 1967-68 and 1968-69 teams, which both started 0-7.
UNCG vs. College of Charleston - Coll. of Charleston leads 19-7
Jan. 24, 2008 W 88-71 Charleston, S.C.
Feb. 25, 2008 W 75-67 Greensboro, N.C.
Dec. 6, 2008 L 62-77 Greensboro, N.C.
Jan. 29, 2009 L 73-89 Charleston, S.C.
March 6, 2009 L 56-69 Chattanooga, Tenn. (SoCon)
Dec. 7, 2009 L 64-67 Greensboro, N.C. (Colis.)
Breaking it all down:
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 72.2 (99)
Rebounds: 11.6 (159)
Assists: 12.4 (217)
FG%: 43.0% (209)
FT%: 68.5% (182)
3P%: 37.7% (54)
Points: 82.3 (343)
Rebounds: 21.9 (294)
Assists: 15.3 (319)
FG%: 48.8% (342)
FT%: 70.5% (252)
3P%: 38.5% (331)
College of Charleston
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 76.6 (34)
Rebounds: 11.1 (203)
Assists: 13.6 (131)
FG%: 48.2% (14)
FT%: 73.4% (50)
3P%: 36.6% (80)
Points: 69.2 (216)
Rebounds: 23.1 (212)
Assists: 13.1 (201)
FG%: 44.2% (227)
FT%: 66.7% (79)
3P%: 35.4% (228)