UNCG heads to rival Elon on Saturday for televised contest
UNCG (5-20, 5-9 SoCon) at Elon (11-15, 5-10 SoCon)
Alumni Gym • Elon, N.C.
Feb. 19, 2011 • Game 26 • 8 p.m.
TV: SportsSouth/ESPN3 (Tom Werme & Daymeon Fishback)
Radio: WCOG 1320-AM (Scott Pryzwansky & Rick Duckett)
LiveStats: UNCGSpartans.com (via ElonPhoenix.com)
• After facing its seventh ACC foe of the season in Miami on Tuesday, UNCG returns to Southern Conference action on Saturday as the Spartans make the short trip to rival Elon for an 8 p.m. contest in Alumni Gym. The game will be televised on SportsSouth.
• The Phoenix lead the all-time series against the Spartans, 16-13, dating back to the 1971-72 season. In a span from 2007-10, UNCG won seven games in a row over Elon, but the Phoenix have claimed the last two meetings. Earlier this season. The Spartans fell to Elon, 80-65, in the Greensboro Coliseum on Jan. 10, as Brian Cole led UNCG with 15 points. That loss capped off UNCG's 0-15 start to begin the season. After that loss, UNCG won four of its next five games, with the only loss coming to Chattanooga in triple overtime.
• On Tuesday, the Spartans fell at home to Miami (Fla.) in their final nonconference game of the season, 78-58. UNCG led by three late in the first half, but the Hurricanes took a seven point halftime lead en route to winning by 20. Kyle Randall led the Spartans with 13 points, while Aloysius Henry chipped in a dozen.
• The Phoenix come into the contest at 11-15 overall and 5-10 in the SoCon after defeating The Citadel, 79-72, last Saturday. That win snapped Elon's five-game losing streak that dated back to Jan. 22. The Phoenix currently sit just a half game behind the Spartans for fourth place in the North Division.
• On Saturday afternoon, the Spartans travel to College of Charleston and fell to the Cougars, 87-69. The game was tight throughout the first 24 minutes as the teams were tied and swapped the lead 14 times combined, but CofC went on a 26-6 over a 10+ minute span to seize control of the game. Trevis Simpson led UNCG with 17 points, while Brandon Evans had 14 points, all in the first half.
• The scoring for UNCG this season seems to come from a different scorer every night. The Spartans have had an amazing seven different players score 23 or more points in a single game this season. Korey Van Dussen and Trevis Simpson have scored 33 in a game, while Brandon Evans and Aaron Brackett have added 28 in contests this year. Aloysius Henry had 26 in a game, Cole had 24 points against Citadel and Kyle Randall scored 23 earlier this season.
• UNCG has four scorers who average double figure points. Simpson leads the team at 11.2 ppg (despite starting in only three games, while Kyle Randall (10.4), Brandon Evans (10.3) and Aloysius Henry (10.1) are also in double figures. Korey Van Dussen isn't far behind as he averages 9.5 points per game.
• UNCG was winless in its first 15 outings this season after facing six ACC opponents and very tough teams in Richmond and VCU. The 0-15 start by the Spartans marked the worst start in school history, breaking the record set by the 1967-68 and 1968-69 teams, which both started 0-7.
UNCG vs. Elon - Elon leads the series 16-13
Feb. 2, 2008 W 89-60 Greensboro, N.C.
Jan. 17, 2009 W 89-72 Elon, N.C.
Feb. 28, 2009 W 74-66 Greensboro, N.C.
Jan. 28, 2010 W 62-55 Greensboro, N.C. (Colis.)
Feb. 17, 2010 L 65-70 Elon, N.C.
Jan. 10, 2011 L 65-80 Greensboro, N.C. (Colis.)
Breaking it all down:
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 71.5 (108)
Rebounds: 11.5 (169)
Assists: 12.2 (235)
FG%: 42.9% (218)
FT%: 68.5% (187)
3P%: 36.9% (73)
Points: 82.3 (343)
Rebounds: 22.0 (286)
Assists: 15.1 (313)
FG%: 48.4% (339)
FT%: 71.2% (285)
3P%: 38.6% (332)
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 73.5 (66)
Rebounds: 11.0 (206)
Assists: 14.3 (90)
FG%: 41.9% (267)
FT%: 71.2% (104)
3P%: 35.5% (120)
Points: 73.8 (303)
Rebounds: 24.5 (112)
Assists: 12.6 (154)
FG%: 45.8% (302)
FT%: 65.9% (52)
3P%: 36.9% (293)