UNCG hosts Western Carolina on Monday for Senior Night
Western Carolina (15-13, 10-5) at (UNCG (5-21, 5-10)
Greensboro Coliseum • Greensboro, N.C.
Feb. 21, 2011 • Game 27 • 7 p.m.
Radio: WCOG 1320-AM & WZTK 101.1 FM (Scott Pryzwansky & Rick Duckett)
Internet: Spartan All Access
• UNCG will return home on Monday night for its final home game of the season as the Spartans host North Division leader Western Carolina at 7 p.m. in the Greensboro Coliseum. The game will also mark Senior Day for lone senior Brandon Evans, who will be honored in a ceremony prior to the game.
• The Catamounts lead the all-time series against the Spartans, 20-15, dating back to 1979. Western Carolina has won the last five contests between the two schools, including a win over UNCG just over two weeks ago. The Spartans dropped that game, 83-73, on the road in Cullowhee, N.C. In that contest, UNCG used a 15-0 run, 13 of those by Brandon Evans, to cut the Catamount lead to one point with just over eight minutes left, but Western Carolina pulled away late for the win. Evans led UNCG with 22 points in the loss, while Brackett added 14 points and 10 rebounds.
• On Saturday, UNCG made the short trip to face rival Elon, but fell to the Phoenix in a high-scoring affair, 99-90. The Spartans trailed by as many as 20 in the second half, but went on a 22-7 run to cut Elon's lead down to five points with eight minutes left. UNCG would get no closer than six points the rest of the way. Brandon Evans had 26 points to lead the Spartans, while Korey Van Dussen and Brian Cole each added 15 points.
• The Catamounts come into the contest at 15-13 overall and 10-5 in the SoCon, while also riding a six-game winning streak. Western Carolina is undefeated in the month of February and hasn't lost since a 75-66 setback at Wofford. The Catamounts have used their winning streak to pull even with Chattanooga at 10-5 atop the North Division standings.
• Last Tuesday, the Spartans fell at home to Miami (Fla.) in their final nonconference game of the season, 78-58. UNCG led by three late in the first half, but the Hurricanes took a seven point halftime lead en route to winning by 20. Kyle Randall led the Spartans with 13 points, while Aloysius Henry chipped in a dozen.
• The scoring for UNCG this season seems to come from a different scorer every night. The Spartans have had an amazing seven different players score 23 or more points in a single game this season. Korey Van Dussen and Trevis Simpson have scored 33 in a game, while Brandon Evans and Aaron Brackett have added 28 in contests this year. Aloysius Henry had 26 in a game, Cole had 24 points against Citadel and Kyle Randall scored 23 earlier this season.
• UNCG has nearly five scorers who average double figure points. Simpson leads the team at 11.0 ppg (despite starting in only four games), while Brandon Evans (10.9) and Kyle Randall (10.4) are also in double figures. Aloysius Henry and Korey Van Dussen aren't far behind as they average 9.8 ppg and 9.7 ppg, respectively.
• UNCG was winless in its first 15 outings this season after facing six ACC opponents and very tough teams in Richmond and VCU. The 0-15 start by the Spartans marked the worst start in school history, breaking the record set by the 1967-68 and 1968-69 teams, which both started 0-7.
UNCG vs. Western Carolina - Western Carolina leads 20-15
March 3, 2008 W 60-55 Greensboro, N.C.
Jan. 8, 2009 L 75-80 Cullowhee, N.C.
Feb. 21, 2009 L 56-69 Greensboro, N.C.
Jan. 14, 2010 L 69-79 Cullowhee, N.C.
Feb. 15, 2010 L 70-75 Greensboro, N.C. (Colis.)
Feb. 5, 2011 L 73-83 Cullowhee, N.C.
Breaking it all down:
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 72.2 (95)
Rebounds: 11.5 (169)
Assists: 12.0 (248)
FG%: 43.2% (200)
FT%: 68.5% (186)
3P%: 37.0% (68)
Points: 82.9 (345)
Rebounds: 22.1 (277)
Assists: 15.2 (317)
FG%: 48.6% (342)
FT%: 71.5% (295)
3P%: 39.1% (338)
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 69.7 (159)
Rebounds: 12.9 (56)
Assists: 13.3 (151)
FG%: 43.0% (214)
FT%: 65.4% (281)
3P%: 33.1% (236)
Points: 68.8 (202)
Rebounds: 23.5 (188)
Assists: 12.6 (160)
FG%: 45.4% (289)
FT%: 67.5% (101)
3P%: 31.4% (44)