UNCG (5-22, 5-11) at Georgia Southern (5-24, 1-15)
Hanner Fieldhouse • Statesboro, Ga.
Feb. 24, 2011 • Game 28 • 7 p.m.
Radio: WCOG 1320-AM (Scott Pryzwansky & Rick Duckett)
Internet: Eagle Vision (subscription required)
• UNCG will hit the road for the final time in the regular season this week with a two-game road trip. The Spartans will kick things off on Thursday as they travel to Georgia Southern to face the Eagles for a 7 p.m. contest.
• Thursday's game will be the 20th meeting between the two schools, with UNCG holding an 11-8 edge in the all-time series, dating back to 1998. UNCG has taken the last three meetings between the two sides, including an 87-75 win earlier this season in the Greensboro Coliseum. In that game, UNCG put five players in double figures, led by 14 points from freshmen David Williams and Trevis Simpson.
• On Monday night, UNCG hosted Western Carolina for Senior Night, but fell to the Catamounts, 70-66. The Spartans, who trailed by as many as 15 points in the second half, came back to take the lead with just over three minutes remaining. With the scored tied at 66, the Catamounts drove to the lane and drew a foul with 2.3 seconds remaining and knocked down the subsequent free throws. Brandon Evans, who was honored before the game as the lone senior, led UNCG in the contest with a game-high 23 points on 7-11 shooting.
• The Eagles come into the contest at 5-22 overall and 1-15 in the SoCon. Georgia Southern snapped its 15-game losing skid in the conference with a 65-53 win at home against The Citadel last Saturday. It was the first win for the Eagles since a 74-72 triumph at home against Georgia State on Dec. 22.
• Last Saturday, UNCG made the short trip to face rival Elon, but fell to the Phoenix in a high-scoring affair, 99-90. The Spartans trailed by as many as 20 in the second half, but went on a 22-7 run to cut Elon's lead down to five points with eight minutes left. UNCG would get no closer than six points the rest of the way. Brandon Evans had 26 points to lead the Spartans, while Korey Van Dussen and Brian Cole each added 15 points.
• The scoring for UNCG this season seems to come from a different scorer every night. The Spartans have had an amazing seven different players score 23 or more points in a single game this season. Korey Van Dussen and Trevis Simpson have scored 33 in a game, while Brandon Evans and Aaron Brackett have added 28 in contests this year. Aloysius Henry had 26 in a game, Cole had 24 points against Citadel and Kyle Randall scored 23 earlier this season.
• UNCG has nearly five scorers who average double figure points. Evans leads the team at 11.3 ppg, while Trevis Simpson (11.1) is also in double figures despite only starting in five games. Kyle Randall (9.9), Aloysius Henry (9.8) and Korey Van Dussen (9.4) aren't far behind as they all average over nine points.
• UNCG was winless in its first 15 outings this season after facing six ACC opponents and very tough teams in Richmond and VCU. The 0-15 start by the Spartans marked the worst start in school history, breaking the record set by the 1967-68 and 1968-69 teams, which both started 0-7.
UNCG vs. Georgia Southern - UNCG leads 11-8
Jan. 5, 2008 W 65-62 Greensboro, N.C.
Feb. 4, 2008 L 78-80 Statesboro, Ga.
Jan. 15, 2009 L 63-72 Greensboro, N.C.
Feb. 7, 2009 W 84-76 Statesboro, Ga.
March 1, 2010 W 81-79 Greensboro, N.C. (Colis.)
Jan. 20, 2011 W 87-75 Greensboro, N.C. (Colis.)
Breaking it all down:
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 72.0 (100)
Rebounds: 11.7 (145)
Assists: 11.9 (257)
FG%: 43.2% (201)
FT%: 68.5% (187)
3P%: 36.8% (73)
Points: 82.4 (344)
Rebounds: 22.1 (278)
Assists: 15.1 (314)
FG%: 48.3% (339)
FT%: 71.4% (291)
3P%: 39.0% (337)
Offense (National Rank)
Points: 66.2 (252)
Rebounds: 10.1 (274)
Assists: 12.0 (246)
FG%: 44.7% (126)
FT%: 69.3% (159)
3P%: 32.8% (247)
Points: 76.9 (329)
Rebounds: 20.5 (336)
Assists: 15.3 (320)
FG%: 48.8% (344)
FT%: 69.0% (175)
3P%: 37.0% (301)