Men’s soccer hosts High Point in nonconference action on Wednesday
GREENSBORO, N.C. — UNCG hosts nonconference rival High Point in a men's soccer contest, 7 p.m., Wednesday at UNCG Soccer Stadium.
UNCG (4-4-0) can get back over the .500 mark for the first time since early September with a win over the Panthers (3-5-1). The Spartans have won two straight, out-scoring Gardner-Webb and Furman by a combined 6-0 in their last two matches.
UNCG holds an 18-5-2 advantage in the all-time series, although the Panthers won 3-1 last season in High Point.
High Point enters Wednesday's match following a 6-0 win over Big South Conference foe Winthrop last Saturday. Sophomore Alex Martinez leads the Panthers with six goals, while fellow senior Kairo Okiomah had four goals and an assist.
UNCG is seeking its first three-match winning streak of the season. In their last outing, the Spartans downed No. 23 Furman 2-0 in the Southern Conference opener for both teams. Hakan Ilhan and Austin Miller each scored for UNCG while Peyton Ford posted his second consecutive shutout. Ilhan leads the team in goals (5), assists (3) and points (13). Ford owns a 0.87 goals-against average.
• Head coach Justin Maullin is 16-10-4 (.600) in his second season with the Spartans
• Tonight's match is the 26th meeting in the series between the Spartans and the Panthers, with UNCG holding a commanding 18-5-2 lead. High Point defeated UNCG 3-1 last season in High Point, but the Spartans haven't lost to the Panthers in Greensboro since 1976.
• UNCG has won its last two matches, out-scoring its opponents 6-0 in that span
• Junior goalkeeper Peyton Ford earned his 11th career shutout in last Saturday's 2-0 win over No. 23 Furman, moving him into sole possession of third in the UNCG record books. Current assistant coach Jay Benfield (2001-5) is next on the list with 14.
• Ford hasn't allowed a goal in his 188:32 in goal, dropping his season goals-against average to 0.87
- UNCG -