CLEMSON, S.C. - Orcun Seyrek claimed a three-set victory at No. 1 singles, but it was the only win over the day for UNC Greensboro in a 6-1 loss at No. 45 Clemson in men's tennis action Tuesday evening.
Seyrek, a sophomore from Merkin, Turkey, rallied to beat Rok Bizjak 4-6, 6-3, 7-5 at the top singles slot. But the Tigers raised their record to 11-0 on the year by winning all three doubles matches and the remaining five singles matches.
UNCG's William John had a strong showing at No. 6 singles. He won the first set over Juan Bolona, 6-4, before Bolona regrouped to win the second set, 6-0, and a 10-point tiebreaker, 10-8, for the deciding set.
The Spartans (6-2) return to action Friday for the Southern Conference opener, hosting Chattanooga at 1 p.m.
Clemson 6, UNC Greensboro 1
1. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) d. Rok Bizjak (CU) 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Carlos Alvarez (CU) d. Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) 6-4, 6-1
3. Kevin Galloway (CU) d. Jacob Wright (UNCG) 6-1, 6-2
4. Wes Moran (CU) d. Timion Meijs (UNCG) 7-6, 6-1
5. Zachary Rigsby (CU) d. Kyle Eddins (UNCG) 6-2, 7-6
6. Juan Bolona (CU) d. William John (UNCG) 4-6, 6-0, 1-0 (10-8)
1. Moritz Dettinger/Rok Bizjak (CU) d. Orcun Seyrek/Arsel Kumdereli (UNCG) 8-1
2. Carlos Alvarez/Juan Bolona (CU) d. Kyle Eddins/William John (UNCG) 8-4
3. Gera Boryachinskiy/Robert Pietrucha (CU) d. Jacob Wright/Timion Meijs (UNCG) 8-5
- UNCG -