Campbell ends UNCG's 15-match home winning streak, 6-1
GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG saw its 15-match home winning streak come to an end Friday at the hands of Campbell, which beat the Spartans 6-1 at the UNCG Tennis Courts.
Freshman Ahmet Sarioglu picked up the lone win of the day for the Spartans (3-2), gutting out a 5-7, 6-0, 6-3 win over Josep Baro at No. 6 singles to remain undefeated on the spring season. The Ankera, Turkey, native improved to 5-0 in singles play during the dual season and 12-4 overall.
That was about the lone bright spot on the day for UNCG, which was swept in doubles action.
Campbell (4-1) saw its No. 1 singles player, Davy Sum, remain perfect on the spring season with a 6-1, 7-5 win over Orcun Seyrek.
UNCG sophomore Timion Meijs battled back from a first-set loss at No. 2 to force a third set, but fell to Larbi Lamzouri 6-2, 3-6, 6-4. Freshman Chanon Varapongsittikul also lost a heartbreaker at No. 4, winning the first set 6-3 before dropping the second set 6-2. Dominik Kaniewski picked up the third-set tiebreaker 1-0 (10-8) to hand Varapongsittikul his first loss of the dual season.
The Camels took all three doubles matches to claim the early 1-0 lead. Sum and Kaniewski topped Seyrek and Sarioglu at No. 1, 8-3, and Lamzouri and Guillen tripped up Meijs and Varapongsittikul at No. 2, 8-4. Litus and Wright pushed Baro and Clavera to a tiebreaker at No. 3, but the Campbell duo pulled out the 8-7 (7-3) win.
UNCG has little time to recover, as it hosts Navy (7-1) at the Starmount Forest Country Club Indoor Courts on Saturday at 4 p.m.
Campbell 6, UNCG 1
1. Davy Sum (CU) def. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) 6-1, 7-5
2. Larbi Lamzouri (CU) def. Timion Meijs (UNCG) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
3. Fernando Guillen (CU) def. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 6-4, 6-4
4. Dominik Kaniewski (CU) def. Ch. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
5. David Clavera (CU) def. Jacob Wright (UNCG) 6-3, 6-2
6. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Josep Baro (CU) 5-7, 6-0, 6-3
1. Davy Sum/Dominik Kaniewski (CU) def. Orcun Seyrek/Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) 8-3
2. Larbi Lamzouri/Fernando Guillen (CU) def. Timion Meijs/Ch. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) 8-4
3. Josep Baro/David Clavera (CU) def. Yaroslav Litus/Jacob Wright (UNCG) 8-7 (7-3)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,5,4,6,2)
- UNCG -