UNC Wilmington downs UNCG 6-1
WILMINGTON, N.C. – Redshirt freshman Zach Reece remained undefeated in singles play on the dual season, picking up UNCG's lone win in a 6-1 loss at UNC Wilmington on Saturday.
Reece moved to 4-0 on the season with a 7-6, 6-3 win over UNCW's Pedro Mol at No. 6 singles. That was the lone bright spot on the afternoon for the Spartans (4-3), who have lost three of their last four after a 3-0 start.
UNCW (6-2) picked up the doubles point with wins at Nos. 1 and 2. Chris Cooprider and Kinshuk Sharma beat Orcun Seyrek and Ahmet Sarioglu at No. 1, 8-1. Mol and Illia Ziamtsov downed Chanon Varapongsittikul and Timion Meijs at No. 2, 8-6.
The Seahawks swept the singles action at Nos. 1-5, with Sharma picking up a tough three-setter over Meijs at No. 2, 7-5, 3-6, 7-5. Litus also pushed Cooprider to the limit at No. 3, winning the first set 7-6 (7-5) before dropping set No. 2, 6-2. Cooprider took the win with a 10-8 win in the 1-0 third set.
Periera downed Seyrek at No. 1, 6-1, 6-4, while Ziamtsov handed Varaponsittikul only his second loss of the season at No. 4, 6-2, 6-0.
Sarioglu suffered his first loss of the season at No. 5, dropping a 6-4, 6-3 decision to Aita.
UNCG returns to action on March 5 when it hosts Wofford to open Southern Conference play at 1 p.m.
UNCW 6, UNCG 1
1. Michael Periera (UNCW) def. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) 6-1, 6-4
2. Kinshuk Sharma (UNCW) def. Timion Meijs (UNCG) 7-5, 3-6, 7-5
3. Chris Cooprider (UNCW) def. Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) 6-7 (5-7), 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Illia Ziamtsov (UNCW) def. Ch. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) 6-2, 6-0
5. Rafael Aita (UNCW) def. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) 6-4, 6-3
6. Zach Reece (UNCG) def. Pedro Mol (UNCW) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
1. Chris Cooprider/Kinshuk Sharma (UNCW) def. Orcun Seyrek/Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) 8-1
2. Pedro Mol/Illia Ziamtsov (UNCW) def. Ch. Varapongsittikul/Timion Meijis (UNCG) 8-6
3. Jacob Wright/Yaroslav Litus (UNCG) def. Rafael Aita/Michael Periera (UNCW) 9-8 (8-6)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,5,4,6,3,2)
Official: Paul Gamboris
- UNCG -