Spartans wrap up fall slate at USTA/ITA Carolinas Regional Championships
UNCG at the USTA/ITA Carolinas Regional Championships, Oct. 13-17, Chapel Hill, N.C./Durham, N.C.
- UNCG's men's tennis team will wrap up its fall slate when it sends a full squad to the USTA/ITA Carolinas Regional Championships from Thursday to Monday. The indoor tournament will be played at North Carolina's Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center and Duke's Sheffield Tennis Center.
- Schools from North Carolina and South Carolina will be competing in the regional. Winners of the tournament will advance to the ITA National Indoor Championships in Flushing Meadows, N.Y., from Nov. 3-6.
- The last time UNCG fielded a full squad at a tournament was at its own UNCG Fall Invitational on Sept. 9-11. Since then, the Spartans have sent three players each to the ITA Men's All-American Championships (Tulsa, Okla., Oct. 1-3) and the Elon Invitational (Elon, N.C., Oct. 7-9).
- Jimmy Roueche, Will Kent and Randy Phillips last competed at the Elon Invitational, while Orcun Seyrek, Ahmet Sarioglu and Chanon Varapongsittikul were last in action at the ITA All-American Championships.
- Last time out, Kent and Phillips won the B1 Doubles backdraw title at the Elon Invitational, while Kent won the B2 Singles backdraw title.
- Kent (4-3) and Sarioglu (4-2) lead UNCG in singles wins on the season. As a whole, the squad has been very successful in doubles, posting a 9-3 aggregate record. Phillips and Varapongsittikul are 3-0 together, having won their flight title at the UNCG Fall Invitational. Three other doubles tandems – Kent and Roueche, Sarioglu and Seyrek, and Kent and Phillips – are each 2-1.
USTA/ITA Carolinas Regional Championships
Thursday, Oct. 13
3:30 p.m. - Rounds of 56 & 32 in doubles (at UNC and Duke sites)
Friday, Oct. 14
8 a.m. - Rounds of 96 & 64 in singles (no doubles play) (at UNC and Duke sites)
Saturday, Oct. 15
10 a.m. - Rounds of 16 and quarterfinals in doubles; round of 32 in singles (UNC site only)
Sunday, Oct. 16
9 a.m. - Rounds of 16 and quarterfinals in singles; semifinals in doubles (UNC site only)
Monday, Oct. 17
9 a.m. - Semifinals and finals of singles; finals of doubles (UNC site only)
- UNCG -