Spartans even record with 5-2 win over UNC Asheville
For video of UNCG coach Thomas Mozur's post-match comments, click here.
GREENSBORO, N.C. – Ahmet Sarioglu won his final six games and survived two match points, gutting out a grueling three-set match at No. 2 singles to clinch UNCG's 5-2 win over UNC Asheville at the Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center on Sunday.
After the Bulldogs (1-3) won the doubles point to get things going, UNCG (2-2) needed at least four singles wins for the team victory. With three of them in the bag, Sarioglu put the finishing touches on an impressive comeback to seal the win for the Spartans.
After dropping the first set to UNC Asheville's Matt Waissen 7-5, Sarioglu won the second set 6-4. The sophomore from Ankera, Turkey, then fell behind 5-1 in the decisive third set before running off six straight games to rally for the win. His match took more than two and a half hours to complete.
Senior Orcun Seyrek nabbed UNCG's first singles win with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Adrien Langeard at No. 1. Randy Phillips put UNCG ahead 2-1 in the match with a 7-6 (7-3), 6-3 win over Thomas Rees at No. 4.
Cameron Smith made it 3-1 with a 6-2, 6-1 win over John Schubel at No. 5, finishing a few minutes before Sarioglu despite starting more than an hour and change later.
After Sarioglu clinched it, UNCA picked up its lone singles win at No. 3, where Jonas Brobeck rallied for a 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-4 win over Chanon Varapongsittikul.
UNCG's Jimmy Roueche wrapped up the match with a 7-5, 6-4 win over Greensboro native Ryan Matthews at No. 6.
In doubles play, the Bulldogs took wins at Nos. 2 and 3 after UNCG's Seyrek and Sarioglu won at No. 1. The Spartans' top duo picked up an 8-4 win over Waissen and Brobeck, but Schubel and Pete Conaty countered with an 8-3 win over Smith and Roueche at No. 3.
Langeard and Rees clinched the point with an 8-4 win over Phillips and Varapongsittikul at No. 2.
UNCG returns to action Feb. 12 at No. 58 NC State in Raleigh, N.C., for a 4 p.m. match.
UNCG 5, UNC Asheville 2
1. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. Adrien Langeard (ASH) 6-4, 6-1
2. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Matt Waissen (ASH) 5-7, 6-4, 7-5
3. Jonas Brobeck (ASH) def. C. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-4
4. Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Thomas Rees (ASH) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
5. Cameron Smith (UNCG) def. John Schubel (ASH) 6-2, 6-1
6. Jimmy Roueche (UNCG) def. Ryan Matthews (ASH) 7-5, 6-4
1. Ahmet Sarioglu/Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. Jonas Brobeck/Matt Waissen (ASH) 8-4
2. Adrien Langeard/Thomas Rees (ASH) def. Randy Phillips/C. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) 8-4
3. Pete Conaty/John Schubel (ASH) def. Jimmy Roueche/Cameron Smith (UNCG) 8-3
UNC Asheville 1-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,4,5,2,3,6)
- UNCG -