GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG's men's tennis team gave Southern Conference leader College of Charleston all it could handle Sunday, but the Cougars remained perfect in league play with a 4-3 win over the Spartans at the UNCG Tennis Courts.
UNCG (8-10, 5-3 SoCon) rallied to win three singles matches after dropping the doubles point, and the match came down to No. 3 singles when the teams found themselves knotted at 3.
The Spartans' Chanon Varapongsittikul won his first set 6-4, but the Cougars' Kyle Parker won the second set by the same score to send the bout to a third set to settle the match. Parker outlasted Varapongsittikul 6-3 in the third set to push CofC's record to 11-3 overall and 5-0 in the SoCon.
UNCG had staged a nice rally in singles to tie the match. The Spartans trailed 2-0 after Alon Faiman topped Jimmy Roueche 6-3, 6-3 at No. 6 singles, but Orcun Seyrek picked up a 6-3, 6-2 win over Mickael Trintignac at No. 1 to get UNCG on the board.
Crescente Lesser finished off Randy Phillips at No. 4 by a 7-5, 6-2 count to put the Cougars on the brink of the win, but Cameron Smith defeated Stephen Hardy 6-2, 6-4 at No. 5 to keep the Spartans alive.
Ahmet Sarioglu then pulled UNCG level, wrapping up his 6-4, 6-3 win over Tom Delme at No. 2 to make it 3-all before Parker clinched the match at No. 3. Sarioglu's win was his 10th straight as he improved to a team-best 20-7 on the season.
The Cougars won the crucial doubles point with victories at Nos. 1 and 3. Hardy and Billy Kenny got things going with an 8-4 win over Roueche and Smith at No. 3, and Parker and Trintignac clinched the point with an 8-5 win over Sarioglu and Seyrek at No. 1.
UNCG avoided the sweep at No. 2, where Phillips and Varapongsittikul won for the eighth time in their last nine tries with an 8-6 victory over Delme and Faiman.
The Spartans are back in action Wednesday at rival Elon at 3 p.m.
College of Charleston 4, UNCG 3
1. Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) def. Mickael Trintignac (COFC) 6-3, 6-2
2. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Tom Delme (COFC) 6-4, 6-3
3. Kyle Parker (COFC) def. C. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Crescente Lesser (COFC) def. Randy Phillips (UNCG) 7-5, 6-2
5. Cameron Smith (UNCG) def. Stephen Hardy (COFC) 6-2, 6-4
6. Alon Faiman (COFC) def. Jimmy Roueche (UNCG) 6-3, 6-3
1. Kyle Parker/Mickael Trintignac (COFC) def. Ahmet Sarioglu/Orcun Seyrek (UNCG) 8-5
2. Randy Phillips/C. Varapongsittikul (UNCG) def. Tom Delme/Alon Faiman (COFC) 8-6
3. Stephen Hardy/Billy Kenny (COFC) def. Jimmy Roueche/Cameron Smith (UNCG) 8-4
College of Charleston 11-3, 5-0 SoCon
UNCG 8-10, 5-3 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,1,4,5,2,3)
- UNCG -