Men's Tennis Continues Winning Streak Against Wofford, 6-1
GREENSBORO, N.C. – The UNCG men's tennis team picked up its sixth straight win when it defeated Wofford, 6-1 Saturday, March 9, at the UNCG tennis courts.
"I think we played pretty good today to pick up another conference win," said head coach Thomas Mozur. "We need to clean up the loose games and unforced errors during our matches."
The Spartans started off strong going 3-0 in doubles earning them one of six points in today's match against Wofford.
In singles play, Sarioglu won two of three sets to win his match, 6-2, 2-6, 6-2 at No. 1 against Galloway.
At No. 2, Murray won an easy first set, 6-2, but fell in his second set 6-2. The match came down to a third-set tiebreaker where Murray fell to Superstein, 7-6(6-2).
Phillips defeated Keith, 6-1, 6-3 at No. 3, while Mack picked up a 6-1, 6-4 victory at No. 4 against Heffron.
Smith fought to win in straight sets against Duncan, 6-2, 7-5 at No. 5 singles.
Albright won in an easy two-set match at No.6 against Thompson, 6-1, 6-2.
UNCG holds a 6-0 record for the season and are 2-0 in SoCon competition. The Blue and Gold return to action when they host Tex-Pan American Tuesday, March 12, at the UNCG tennis courts at 12 p.m.
UNCG 6, Wofford 1 (Saturday, March 9)
UNCG Tennis Courts
1. Mack/Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Galloway/Heffron (Wofford), 8-6
2. Smith/Murray (UNCG) def. Thompson/Keith (Wofford), 8-4
3. Phillips/Albright (UNCG) def. Superstein/Duncan (Wofford), 8-5
1. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) def. Rob Galloway (Wofford), 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
2. Drew Superstein (Wofford) def. Gaston Murray (UNCG), 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 (6-2)
3. Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Jackson Keith (Wofford), 6-1, 6-3
4. Daniel Mack (UNCG) def. Walker Heffron (Wofford), 6-1, 6-4
5. Cameron Smith (UNCG) def. Graham Duncan (Wofford), 6-2, 7-5
6. William Albright (UNCG) def. Parks Thompson (Wofford), 6-1, 6-2
- UNCG -