UNCG travels to Tiger Paw Invitational this weekend
UNCG at Tiger Paw Invitational, Feb. 11-12, Clemson, S.C., Clemson Indoor Track & Field Complex
- After a successful showing at the Niswonger Invitational and the Meyo Invitational last weekend, UNCG returns to the road this weekend as the Spartans compete at the Tiger Paw Invitational on Friday and Saturday in Clemson, S.C. inside the Clemson Indoor Track & Field Complex.
- Action gets underway beginning at 2 p.m. on Friday with the women's 1,000 meter run and will wrap up at 9 p.m. Day two will start at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday and the meet will conclude with the 4x400 meter relay at 4:45 p.m.
- Last weekend, Ashley Schnell was the lone Spartan to compete at the Meyo Invitational. At the meet, she set another school record as she broke the previous mark in the 3,000 meters by just under 10 seconds with a time of 9:39.73. Her time was good enough for seventh place in the seeded race at the prestigious event.
- For her efforts last weekend, Schnell was named the Southern Conference Co-Athlete of the Week for women's indoor track. She shared the award with College of Charleston's Dena O'Brien.
- UNCG also competed last weekend at the Niswonger Invitational, where a majority of the team competed. Joey Thompson had a nice showing at the meet as he was edged out in the 3,000 meter race to earn runner-up honors after running a 8:40.20.
- Paul Katam also had a nice showing on the men's side at the Niswonger as he finished in fourth place in the 5,000 meters. His time of 14:57.40 was the second-best time in school history in the event, just seven seconds off teammate Mike Koech's school record he set last season.
- Kerry Hartman and Shaina Sumney set the third- and fourth-best time in the 3,000 meters at the Niswonger for the women's team. Hartman finished in fourth place in a time of 10:13.07, while Sumney came in seventh place after completing the race in a time of 10:24.21.
- At the Liberty Open, Schnell shattered the previous school record in the mile. Schnell ran a time of 5:00.68 to claim first place in the event and beat Jess Weber's 2006 school record by over 13 seconds.
- Shaina Sumney also broke one of Weber's school records last weekend as she sent a new top mark in the 800 meters by winning the event. Her time of 2:20.60 bested Weber's time by 1.15 seconds that she set in 2008.
- The Spartan men also had a nice showing at the Liberty Open last weekend as the team came away with a 1-2 finish in the mile. Thompson edged out teammate Jermaine Coore by just three tenths of a second as they ran a 4:24.95 and a 4:25.22, respectively.
- UNCG -