Spartans set to compete at Raleigh Relays
UNCG at Raleigh Relays, March 25-26, Raleigh, N.C.
- UNCG will continue its outdoor season this weekend at the prestigious Raleigh Relays on Friday and Saturday at Paul Derr Track on the campus of NC State University. The event will feature 67 men's teams and 71 women's teams from around the nation.
- Live results of the meet can be found by clicking here.
- The meet will get under way on Friday at 10:15 a.m. with a 5,000 meter race and will wrap up with the 10,000 meter seeded race at 9 p.m. Competition will resume on Saturday at 9:45 a.m. with the 3,000 meter steeplechase and the meet will end at 5:10 p.m. with the 4x400 meter relay.
- Ginny Cronley, Tiffany Garber, Shannon Hall, Kerry Hartman, Danielle Merriman, Mitchell Morgan, Emily Morris, Jenna Paley, Ashley Schnell, Chelsea Sumney, Shaina Sumney, Emily Vasquez and Chelsea Willette will represent the women's team at the meet. Theses runners will compete in the 400 meters, 1,500 meters, 5,000 meters, 10,000 meters and 4x1,500 meter relay.
- Running for the men's team will be Tyron Alston, Jelani Bonner, Brian Carrington, Andy Clyne, Jermaine Coore, Taylor Day, Kenny Hinman, Bill Kane, Paul Katam, AJ Savoia, John Teeter, Joey Thompson, Ben Vasquez and Parker Wenos. They will run in the 100 meters, 1,500 meters, 3,000 meter steeplechase, 5,000 meters.
- Last weekend, the Spartans had another good weekend as Ashley Schnell and Paul Katam each broke a school record at the Wake Forest Open. Schnell shattered the previous school record in the 1,500 meters by 14 seconds and Shaina Sumney and Kerry Hartman also would've broken the school record in the event. Katam set a new school record in the 5,000 meters by five seconds, while Joey Thompson won his 1,500 meter race.
- Two weekends ago, UNCG found success to open the outdoor season at the Seahawk Invitational. Ashley Schnell broke the school record in the 800 meters by over five seconds as she turned in a time of 2:12.69. Chelsea Sumney was also impressive as she broke the school record in the 1,500 meters in a time of 4:44.08.
- For her efforts at the UNCW Seahawk Invitational, Schnell was named the Southern Conference Track Athlete of the Week on Wednesday.
- At the Southern Conference Indoor Championships two weekends ago, UNCG came away with a pair of league titles. Ashley Schnell became the first women's runner in school history to win a SoCon indoor crown as she earned top honors in the 3,000 meters after running a time of 9:52.39. Schnell also joined teammates Shaina Sumney, Shannon Hall and Kerry Hartman to win the SoCon title in the distance medley relay.
- Also at the SoCon Indoor Championships, the Spartans had a trio of runners who earned All-Freshman Team honors. Kenny Hinman led the group as he earned All-Freshman honors not only in the 3,000 meters, but in the 5,000 meters as well. Teammate Paul Katam joined Hinman on the All-Freshman Team honors in the 5,000 meters, while Kelly Montague was named to the All-Freshman Team in the mile.
- On Feb. 12 at the Tiger Paw Invitational, Ashley Schnell broke the school record in the 800 meters at the Tiger Paw Invitational. Her time of 2:19.07 was nearly three seconds better than the previous school record set in 2008. The women's distance medley relay team also set a new school record by nearly 12 seconds.
- Back on Feb. 5, Ashley Schnell was the lone Spartan to compete at the Meyo Invitational. At the meet, she set another school record as she broke the previous mark in the 3,000 meters by just under 10 seconds with a time of 9:39.73. Her time was good enough for seventh place in the seeded race at the prestigious event.
- For her efforts at the Meyo Invitational, Schnell was named the Southern Conference Co-Athlete of the Week for women's indoor track. She shared the award with College of Charleston's Dena O'Brien.
- UNCG also competed at the Niswonger Invitational, where a majority of the team competed. Joey Thompson had a nice showing at the meet as he was edged out in the 3,000 meter race to earn runner-up honors after running a 8:40.20.
- At the Liberty Open, Schnell shattered the previous school record in the mile. Schnell ran a time of 5:00.68 to claim first place in the event and beat Jess Weber's 2006 school record by over 13 seconds.
- Shaina Sumney also broke one of Weber's school records last weekend as she sent a new top mark in the 800 meters by winning the event. Her time of 2:20.60 bested Weber's time by 1.15 seconds that she set in 2008.
- UNCG -