UNCG heads to Distance Classic on Thursday
UNCG at Virginia Tech Distance Classic, May 12, Roanoke, Va.
- Coming into the final week of the regular season, UNCG will head to the Virginia Tech Distance Classic on Thursday in Roanoke, Va.
- The Spartans will be sending just three runners to the event. Joey Thompson will be competing in the 3,000 meter steeplechase, while Ashley Schnell and Paul Katam will run in the 1,500 meters.
- Two weeks ago, UNCG sent a few runners up to Philadelphia, Pa. for the prestigious Penn Relays. At the event, Thompson set a new school record in the 3,000 meter steeplechase by nine seconds with a time of 9:06.47. Katam also had an impressive day as he broke the old school record in the 10,000 meters by 38 seconds with a 29:55.65.
- During April 22-23, Schnell led UNCG at the Southern Conference Outdoor Track & Field Championship as she won the SoCon title in the 1,500 meters. Chelsea and Shaina Sumney also turned in impressive performances as they finished 2-3 in the 5,000 meters, respectively, to earn All-SoCon status in the event. Kenny Hinman and Kelly Montague both earned All-Freshman Team honors, as well.
- On April 8-9, UNCG broke three more school records at the Duke Invitational. On Friday, Paul Katam snapped his own school record in the 3,000 meters by over five seconds with a time of 8:20.76. On the second day, Chelsea Sumney broke the previous school record in the 3,000 meters by over seven seconds and Anna Grimes set a new school-best mark in the 2,000 meter steeplechase by almost 15 seconds.
- On March 25-26, UNCG saw more school records fall as it competed at the Raleigh Relays. On the first day, Ashley Schnell shattered the school record in the 5,000 meters by a minute and 35 seconds, while Paul Katam did the same on the men's side in a time of 14:32.84. On Saturday, Joey Thompson set a new school record in the 3,000 meter steeplechase by over eight seconds with a time of 9:15.73.
- On March 17-18, the Spartans had another good weekend as Ashley Schnell and Paul Katam each broke a school record at the Wake Forest Open. Schnell shattered the previous school record in the 1,500 meters by 14 seconds and Shaina Sumney and Kerry Hartman also would've broken the school record in the event. Katam set a new school record in the 5,000 meters by five seconds, while Joey Thompson won his 1,500 meter race.
- On March 11-12, UNCG found success to open the outdoor season at the Seahawk Invitational. Ashley Schnell broke the school record in the 800 meters by over five seconds as she turned in a time of 2:12.69. Chelsea Sumney was also impressive as she broke the school record in the 1,500 meters in a time of 4:44.08.
- For her efforts at the UNCW Seahawk Invitational, Schnell was named the Southern Conference Track Athlete of the Week on March 16.
- At the Southern Conference Indoor Championships on Feb. 26-27, UNCG came away with a pair of league titles. Ashley Schnell became the first women's runner in school history to win a SoCon indoor crown as she earned top honors in the 3,000 meters after running a time of 9:52.39. Schnell also joined teammates Shaina Sumney, Shannon Hall and Kerry Hartman to win the SoCon title in the distance medley relay.
- Also at the SoCon Indoor Championships, the Spartans had a trio of runners who earned All-Freshman Team honors. Kenny Hinman led the group as he earned All-Freshman honors not only in the 3,000 meters, but in the 5,000 meters as well. Teammate Paul Katam joined Hinman on the All-Freshman Team honors in the 5,000 meters, while Kelly Montague was named to the All-Freshman Team in the mile.
- UNCG -