UNCG at the Buzz Classic, March 2-4, Woodstock, Ga., hosted by Georgia Tech
(Tournament field: 17 teams)
LiveStats: UNCGSpartans.com (via KSUOwls.com, select games)
• UNCG's softball team hits the road this weekend for its final regular-season tournament when it takes part in Georgia Tech's Buzz Classic in Woodstock, Ga.
• UNCG will face Ohio Valley Conference members UT Martin, Jacksonville State, Morehead State and Tennessee Tech and the Big South Conference's Winthrop at this year's Buzz Classic. The Spartans are participating in the Buzz for the third straight season.
• The Spartans went 1-2 at last year's rain-shortened Buzz Classic, beating Evansville and falling to Western Kentucky and UAB.
• UNCG went 2-1 last weekend at its own Spartan Classic, which was also affected by rain. The Spartans fell to Utah, which went 5-0 at the tournament, and beat Drexel and Rider. Toni MacReynolds hit .571 in the three games, while Katelyn Bedwell hit .400 with two home runs and five RBI, slugging an even 1.000. Freshman Dominique Madruga hit .444 and stole a base.
• In the circle, senior Cory Mattson had a dominant weekend, going 1-0 with a save and a 0.70 ERA. She struck out seven in 10 innings and allowed a paltry .111 batting average.
• Senior Alex Emeterio leads the Spartans with a .375 average on the year, while junior Eileen Horsmon is second at .314 and has four homers and 10 RBI and is slugging a team-best .714. Sophomore Aisha Figueroa is also above .300 at .306 and is 4-for-4 in stolen bases so far this season.
• Emeterio is tied for fourth in school history in career batting average (.350) and is also in the top 10 in career hits, doubles, triples, RBI, slugging percentage and walks.
• UNCG has never faced UT Martin in softball.
• The Skyhawks are 8-7 so far on the season and competed in Chattanooga's Frost Classic last weekend. UT Martin went 2-3 at the tournament, with junior Leah Taylor hitting .389 to earn Ohio Valley Conference Player of the Week honors on Monday. UT Martin also played in the title game of the Florida Gulf Coast Tournament the week prior to that.
• Jenny Bain and Chelsea Jones were named the OVC Player and Pitcher of the Week, respectively, after the opening weekend of play.
• Taylor leads the squad with a .462 average after 15 games and has seven extra base hits (two doubles, three triples, two homers) and 13 RBI. Bain leads the squad with 14 RBI and has a .320 average. Jones is 6-2 with a 3.25 ERA to lead the Skyhawks' pitching staff.
• UNCG is 0-4 all-time against Jacksonville State. The last time the teams met was at the 2010 Buzz Classic, when the Gamecocks took a 4-2 win on March 7 of that year.
• Jacksonville State is 2-9 on the season. The Gamecocks won a slugfest in their own Jacksonville State Invitational on Feb. 18, topping Southeaster Louisiana, 15-10. Last weekend, JSU played in the Georgia Southern Eagle Classic, downing North Florida, 3-2.
• Jax State and Samford were tied at 2 in the fifth inning Wednesday when lightning halted that game. It will be completed at a later date.
• The Gamecocks' schedule is heavy on Southern Conference teams. In addition having already played Georgia Southern and Samford, JSU will take on UNCG, Western Carolina and Furman, in that order, at the Buzz Classic.
• Catcher Kaycee Crow was the OVC Player of the Week on Feb. 20.
• Crow leads the team with a .394 batting average to pace four players hitting over .300. Shelby Holley is hitting .342 with a team-high seven homers and a team-best 13 RBI.
• Sam Snow leads JSU in the circle with a 1-1 record and a 3.33 ERA. Savanna Hennings is 1-4 with a 9.32 ERA.
• UNCG is 3-2 against Morehead State all-time. The teams last met in last season's Spartan Classic. The Eagles took a 13-1 win on Feb. 25, 2011, but UNCG got its revenge with a 3-2 in the tournament's consolation game two days later.
• The MSU Eagles enter the Buzz Classic with a 2-6 record after going 1-3 at the College of Charleston Classic to open the season and 1-3 at last weekend's Hilltopper Spring Classic. MSU has beaten CofC and Indiana State.
• Adrena Anderson leads the Eagles with a .444 average, while Stephanie Etter is hitting .333. Amber Riddle and Jamie Massaro have one homer each.
• Jami Whitcomb has both of MSU's wins in the circle, as she is 2-2 with a 2.88 ERA.
• UNCG is 1-0 against Tennessee Tech, taking a 4-1 win over the Golden Eagles on March 7, 2010, at the Buzz Classic – hours after the Spartans fell to Jacksonville State that day.
• The Golden Eagles have opened their season in tournaments at Florida State, Georgia and Chattanooga and are 6-8 so far. Tennessee Tech picked up wins over Dayton and Ball State in Chattanooga last weekend.
• Kayla Floyd leads TTU with a .375 average on the season, while Channelle Spalding is hitting .325. Brittney Spalding has Tennessee Tech's lone homer on the year.
• Holly Thomas is 4-4 with a 2.60 ERA to lead the Golden Eagles in the circle. Erica Tuck is 2-1 with a 7.63 ERA.
• UNCG is 16-9 all-time against former Big South Conference rival Winthrop. The squads last met on March 11, 2007, at Winthrop's adidas/Winthrop Invitational in Rock Hill, S.C., with the Eagles taking 5-0 win.
• Winthrop is 5-8 on the young season and has played in tournaments at South Carolina and Georgia in addition to the NFCA Leadoff Classic in Clearwater, Fla.
• The Eagles beat No. 9 Tennessee, 2-1, last weekend at the NFCA Leadoff Classic, picking up the program's first-ever win over a top-10 team and handing coach Mark Cooke his 700th career victory.
• Winthrop's first game at the Buzz Classic will be against tournament host and 20th-ranked Georgia Tech. The Eagles will take on SoCon opponent Furman on Saturday.
• Megan Chapman leads Winthrop with a .421 average on the year, while Chelsey Schoenfeldt has a home run and a team-best 11 RBI to go with a .395 average.
• In the circle, Natalie Becker is 2-5 with a 4.20 ERA. Schoenfeldt is 2-3 with a 4.76 mark.
UNCG's Buzz Classic schedule
UNCG vs. UT Martin, 12 p.m.
UNCG vs. Jacksonville State, 2:30 p.m.
UNCG vs. Morehead State, 1 p.m.
UNCG vs. Tennessee Tech, 4 p.m.
UNCG vs. Winthrop, 10 a.m.
- UNCG -