UNCG to take on N.C. Central, Charlotte
UNCG (5-11) vs. North Carolina Central (1-15), March 7, 5 p.m., UNCG Softball Stadium
UNCG at Charlotte (9-10), March 8, 4 p.m., Charlotte, N.C.
Video: Charlotte49ers.com (Charlotte games only, subscription-based)
• UNCG's softball team will host North Carolina Central for a single game Wednesday and play a doubleheader at Charlotte on Thursday.
• The Spartans added the single game against NCCU after some early season rainouts robbed UNCG of four scheduled games.
• The Spartans went 2-3 at the Buzz Classic over the weekend, beating Morehead State and Kennesaw State and falling to UT Martin, Jacksonville State and Winthrop.
• Eileen Horsmon hit an even .400 at the Buzz, slugging .733 with three doubles and a triple among her six hits over the weekend. Katelyn Bedwell hit .357 at the tournament, hitting a home run and collecting three hits total on Friday, her 20th birthday.
• Cory Mattson and Erica Navarette picked up UNCG's two wins in the circle, with Mattson allowing just three earned runs in the win over Morehead State and Navarette allowing two earned runs in the win over Kennesaw State.
• With 16 contests in the books, the Spartans have been on the wrong side of four one-run games this season. Saint Louis took a 1-0 win over UNCG on Feb. 11, while UNCG dropped a 2-1 decision at East Carolina and a 5-4 game to No. 21 Louisville after leading late in both games. UT Martin topped UNCG 3-2 on Friday.
• UNCG is 4-3 in its last seven games after opening the season 1-8.
• The resurgent Horsmon leads UNCG with a .340 average after hitting .269 as a sophomore last season. She also has four homers and 14 RBI, both team highs. Senior Alex Emeterio is second on the squad with a .313 average, while Bedwell has three homers and 13 RBI, both second on the team.
• Mattson leads UNCG with a 3.61 ERA and is 3-4 on the season. Navarette owns a 4.32 ERA and is 1-5 on the year. Sophomore Josie Felix is 1-2 with a 7.00 ERA.
• Emeterio is in the top 10 in school history in career batting average, hits, doubles, triples, RBI, slugging percentage and walks.
• UNCG is 2-0 all-time against N.C. Central, with the only two meetings coming in 2009. The Spartans swept a home doubleheader from the Eagles on April 7 of that season, taking a 14-0 win in game one and an 11-0 win in game two, both in five innings. Laura Olenderski had a grand slam to kick off back-to-back-to-back homers in the first game, while Lyndsay Mouse and Emeterio hit back-to-back homers in the second game.
• The Eagles have lost 14 straight since splitting an opening-day doubleheader at UNCW on Feb. 10. NCCU dropped five games over the weekend at USC Upstate's Subway Spartan Classic. Nadia Jefferies was named to the all-tournament team.
• With the exception of its 6-4 win over the Seahawks, NCCU's closest game has been a 6-1 loss to Appalachian State on Feb. 18.
• The Eagles have faced two Southern Conference teams a total of six times already. NCCU is 0-2 against Elon and 0-4 against Appalachian State so far this season. The Eagles also have a doubleheader at College of Charleston scheduled for April 4.
• Amanda Bullock leads N.C. Central with a .310 batting average and is joined over .300 by Cember Carmichael, who is hitting .306.
• In the circle, Bianka Molina is 1-6 with a 9.40 ERA, while Aurora Baker is 0-7 with an 11.80 mark.
• UNCG is 27-36 against Charlotte all-time. The teams met three times last season, with Charlotte taking a 3-0 win in its First Pitch Classic on Feb. 18 and the squads splitting a doubleheader in Greensboro on March 9. Despite the loss to the 49ers in Charlotte, UNCG went 4-1 at the tournament to win the First Pitch Classic.
• The 49ers enter Thursday's games with a 9-10 mark after going 1-4 at the San Diego Classic over the weekend. Charlotte beat Long Beach State and fell to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, tournament host San Diego State, Brigham Young and Fresno State.
• Charlotte has also faced Appalachian State this season, splitting a doubleheader with the Mountaineers on Feb. 15. ASU is also UNCG's next opponent after the Charlotte doubleheader.
• Jackie Kleinsmith leads the 49ers with a .389 average on the year, while Briana Gwaltney is second at .333 and leads the squad with six home runs and 15 RBI.
• Lexi Betancourt is 6-4 with a 3.29 and Katie Watkins is 3-6 with a 5.25 mark. Chelsea Lisikatos has made eight appearances but has yet to factor into a decision and has a team-best 1.80 ERA.
• UNCG and Charlotte are similar in several areas. Charlotte has 10 homers to UNCG's nine, Charlotte is 12-for-16 in stolen bases and UNCG is 12-for-15 and the 49ers' .953 fielding percentage is just a couple of ticks higher than the Spartans' .951 mark.
• Gwaltney and Kalie Lang were preseason All-Atlantic 10 Conference selections.
• Charlotte won its own 49er Invitational over the last weekend of February, beating Boston College 12-2 in the championship game. Lang was named the A-10 Player of the Week following that performance, while Alex Rogers was the league's rookie of the week.
• UNCG coach Jennifer Herzig played at Charlotte from 1998-2001 and was an NFCA Scholar-Athlete for the 49ers each year. She also coached at Charlotte from 2003-05.
This week's schedule
UNCG vs. North Carolina Central, 5 p.m.
UNCG at Charlotte (DH), 4 p.m.
- UNCG -