UNCG outlasts Western Carolina, 6-1, for SoCon win
CULLOWHEE, N.C. - UNC Greensboro won three out of four matches in decisive third sets to stave off Western Carolina's hopes of an upset and come up away with a 6-1 win over the Catamounts in Southern Conference women's tennis action Saturday afternoon.
Stephanie MacFarlane won her fourth straight singles match and Annette Rios held on for her team-best 16th win of the season to seal the victory. MacFarlane, playing at No. 2 singles, defeated Amanda Massey 6-2, 0-6, 6-3, as she won for the seventh time in the last 10 matches. Rios topped Karen Jimenez Sarmiento, 7-6, 1-6, 6-4, at No. 5 singles.
Valerie Behr also won in three sets at No. 3 singles, while Jessica Eblen and Alex Whitehead had much easier times in straight-set victories for the Spartans (7-6, 2-2).
UNCG returns to action on Tuesday when it hosts Davidson at 4 p.m. in another SoCon match.
UNC Greensboro 6, Western Carolina 1
1. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Izabella Glinska (WCU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Stephanie Macfarlane (UNCG) def. Amanda Massey (WCU) 6-2, 0-6, 6-3
3. Valerie Behr (UNCG) def. Carolina Lainez (WCU) 6-1, 6-7 (7-9), 1-0 (10-5)
4. Ainhoa Iglesias Diaz (WCU) def. Mikayla Rogers (UNCG) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Annette Rios (UNCG) def. K. Jimenez Sarmiento (WCU) 7-6, 1-6, 6-4
6. Jessica Eblen (UNCG) def. Emily Turke (WCU) 6-0, 6-2
1. Valerie Behr/Stephanie Macfarlane (UNCG) def. Amanda Massey/Ainhoa Iglesias Diaz (WCU) 8-7 (7-5)
2. Jessica Eblen/Annette Rios (UNCG) def. Carolina Lainez/K. Jimenez Sarmiento (WCU) 8-3
3. Alex Whitehead/Mikayla Rogers (UNCG) def. Layne Arnold/Izabella Glinska (WCU) 8-1
- UNCG -