SPARTANBURG, S.C. – UNCG pushed its Southern Conference record to a perfect 6-0 and won its fourth match in a row as the Spartans defeated Wofford, 4-3, on Sunday afternoon at the Reeves Tennis Center.
For the 12th time in 15 matches this season UNCG (11-4, 6-0 SoCon) claimed the doubles point and swept all three doubles matches for the seventh time this season. Lucy Dougherty and Niltooli Wilkins pushed their season record to 13-2 with an 8-2 win at No. 2.
Stephanie Macfarlane and Alex Whitehead moved to 12-3 this season with their 8-5 win at No. 1 to clinch the doubles point. Mikayla Rogers and Devon Sutherland made it a clean sweep with an 8-6 win at No. 3.
Dougherty got things going for UNCG in singles with an easy 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 5. Rogers made it 3-0 in favor of the Spartans with her 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 6.
Wofford then began to mount a rally as Sarah Evans won 6-1, 6-1 at No. 3 and Julia Paulson followed with a 6-3, 6-4 victory at No. 4 to cut UNCG's lead down to 3-2.
It was all for naught, however, as Niltooli Wilkins pushed her season record to 13-2 at No. 1 singles to clinch the victory for UNCG with her 7-5, 6-2 win. Haley Baird earned a hard-fought win at No. 2 singles 3-6, 7-5, 6-4 to make the final team score 4-3.
The Spartans will host Davidson on Tuesday on Senior Day at 3:30 p.m.
UNCG 4, Wofford 3
1. Stephanie MacFarlane/Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Haley Baird/Emilia Milovanovic (WOF), 8-5
2. Lucy Dougherty/Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Sarah Evans/Julia Paulson (WOF), 8-2
3. Mikayla Rogers/Devon Sutherland (UNCG) def. Lucy Schermerhorn/Samantha Sullivan (WOF), 8-6
Order of finish: (2,1*,3) *clinched doubles point
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Emilia Milovanovic (WOF), 7-5, 6-2
2. Haley Baird (WOF) def. Alex Whitehead (UNCG), 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
3. Sarah Evans (WOF) def. Stephanie MacFarlane (UNCG), 6-1, 6-1
4. Julia Paulson (WOF) def. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG), 6-3, 6-4
5. Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) def. Lucy Schermerhorn (WOF), 6-0, 6-1
6. Mikayla Rogers (UNCG) def. Meagan Laframboise (WOF), 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: (5,6,3,4,1*,2) *clinched match
- UNCG -