UNCG cruises past Davidson, earns first-round bye
GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG took the doubles point to start the match and then swept all six singles matches in impressive fashion to give the Spartans a 7-0 win over Davidson on Monday afternoon in the regular-season finale for both squads.
With the win, UNCG clinched the No. 2 seed in this week's Southern Conference Women's Tennis Championship, which is being held at the Champions Club in Chattanooga, Tenn. Along with the No. 2 seed comes a first-round bye. The Spartans will face the winner of No. 7 Georgia Southern and No. 10 Western Carolina in the quarterfinals on Thursday at 10:30 a.m.
The Spartans kicked off Senior Day by winning the first two doubles matches to clinch the point. Alex Whitehead and Macfarlane cruised to an easy 8-0 win at No. 1 doubles and Devon Sutherland and Dilara Yurtkuran followed with an 8-6 win at No. 3 to give UNCG the point. In the final doubles match, Stephani Synn and Alison Rauh won 8-6 at No. 2.
Niltooli Wilkins moved her record this season at No. 1 singles to 17-2 with an easy 6-0, 6-0 win to give UNCG a 2-0 lead. Rogers added to that at No. 6 with an identical 6-0, 6-0 score.
It was Macfarlane who would clinch the win for UNCG on Senior Day as she scored a 6-4, 6-3 win at No. 3 singles. Whitehead pushed the Spartan lead out to 5-0 with a 6-3, 7-6 (3) victory at No. 2 singles.
Dilara Yurtkuran then won a hard-fought 7-5, 6-4 match at No. 4 singles before Devon Sutherland closed the match out with a 6-0, 6-4 victory at No. 6.
The Spartans will now face the winner of Georgia Southern and Western Carolina on Thursday at 10:30 a.m. in the quarterfinals.
UNCG 7, Davidson 0
1. Alex Whitehead/Stephanie MacFarlane (UNCG) def. Nisha Crouser/Brites Moniz-Soares (DAV), 8-0
2. Stephani Synn/Alison Rauh (DAV) def. Niltooli Wilkins/Mikayla Rogers (UNCG), 8-6
3. Devon Sutherland/Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) def. Samantha Galainena/Katharine Dicconson (DAV), 8-6
Order of finish: (1,3*,2) *clinched doubles point
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Stephani Synn (DAV), 6-0, 6-0
2. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Alison Rauh (DAV), 6-3, 7-6 (3)
3. Stephanie MacFarlane (UNCG) def. Nisha Crouser (DAV), 6-4, 6-3
4. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) def. Brites Moniz-Soares (DAV), 7-5, 6-4
5. Mikayla Rogers (UNCG) def. Samantha Galainena (DAV), 6-0, 6-0
6. Devon Sutherland (UNCG) def. Romina Clemente (DAV), 6-0, 6-4
Order of finish: (1,5,3*,2,4,6) *clinched match
- UNCG -