Spartans fall to Indiana, 6-1
DURHAM, N.C. – UNCG's women's tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision to Indiana on Sunday at Duke's Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center. Niltooli Wilkins picked up wins in singles and doubles for the Spartans.
Wilkins and Lucy Dougherty, the 40th-ranked doubles duo in the country, picked up a win over Indiana's Kayla Fujimoto and Evgeniya Vertesheva at No. 1, 8-5.
The Hoosiers (1-1) took the point on the strength of wins at Nos. 2 and 3. Alecia Kauss and Leslie Hurea took an 8-1 win over UNCG's Devon Sutherland and Kayla Gammie at No. 3 to start things off. After Wilkins and Dougherty pulled UNCG even, the point turned on the result at No. 2.
IU's Carolyn Chupa and Katie Klyczek pulled out a tight one, downing Alex Whitehead and Dilara Yurtkuran, 9-7, to clinch the point for the Hoosiers.
In singles action, Wilkins rebounded from a 6-1 loss in the opening set to take a 1-6, 7-5, 1-0 (9) win over Vertesheva at No. 1.
The Hoosiers swept through the rest of singles play, winning every match in straight sets.
At No. 2, Hureau downed Yurtkuran, 6-3, 6-1. Klyczek topped Whitehead 6-1, 6-3 at No. 3, and Kauss defeated Dougherty 6-4, 7-6 (5) at No. 4. Shannon Murdy topped Annette Rios at No. 5, 6-2, 6-4, while Sophie Garre dropped Stephanie Falcon at No. 6, 6-2, 7-5.
UNCG (0-2) returns to action when it hosts UNC Asheville at the Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center on Feb. 4 at 10 a.m.
Indiana 6, UNCG 1
1. Niltooli Wilkins(UNCG) def. Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) 1-6, 7-5, 1-0 (11-9)
2. Leslie Hureau (IND) def. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) 6-3, 6-1
3. Katie Klyczek (IND) def. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) 6-1, 6-3
4. Alecia Kauss (IND) def. Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) 6-4, 7-6 (5)
5. Shannon Murdy (IND) def. Annette Rios (UNCG) 6-2, 6-4
6. Sophie Garre (IND) def. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) 6-2, 7-5
Order of finish: 3,2,5,6,4,1
1. No. 40 Niltooli Wilkins/Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) def. Kayla Fujimoto/Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) 8-5
2. Carolyn Chupa/Katie Klyczek (IND) def. Alex Whitehead/Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) 9-7
3. Alecia Kauss/Leslie Hurea (IND) def. Devon Sutherland/Kayla Gammie (UNCG) 8-1
Order of finish: 3,1,2
- UNCG -