UNCG rolls to first win of season, 7-0 over UNCA
GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG's women's tennis team stormed to its first victory of the season Saturday, sweeping through doubles and singles to take a 7-0 win over UNC Asheville at the Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center.
Annette Rios and Kayla Gammie got things going for the Spartans (1-2) with a win at No. 2 doubles, topping UNCA's Zoe Hamel and Devon Cavanaugh, 8-3. Niltooli Wilkins and Alex Whitehead clinched the point for the Spartans at No. 1, downing Emily McNall and Christine Boissevain by the same score.
Devon Sutherland and Stephanie Falcon made it a clean sweep at No. 3, picking up an 8-4 win over Jenna Dodge and Amryn Soldier.
In singles play, Sutherland polished off her 6-2, 6-1 win over Amie Cloer at No. 6 to make it 2-0 in UNCG's favor. Wilkins rolled to a 6-1, 6-0 win over Hamel at No. 1 before Falcon clinched the match at No. 5, topping Dodge, 6-1, 6-2.
At No. 3, Whitehead had to work a little extra for a 7-6 (10-8) win over Soldier in the first set before easing to a 6-0 win in the second set. Rios also had to go to a first-set tiebreaker against Boissevain at No. 4, winning 7-6 (7-5), 6-4.
Dilara Yurtkuran picked up a 6-4, 6-3 win over McNall at No. 2.
The Bulldogs fell to 1-2 on the season.
UNCG has the next week off before hosting East Carolina at Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center on Feb. 11 at 10 a.m.
UNCG 7, UNC Asheville 0
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Zoe Hamel (ASH) 6-1, 6-0
2. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) def. Emily McNall (ASH) 6-4, 6-3
3. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Amryn Soldier (ASH) 7-6 (10-8), 6-0
4. Annette Rios (UNCG) def. Christine Boissevain (ASH) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
5. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) def. Jenna Dodge (ASH) 6-1, 6-2
6. Devon Sutherland (UNCG) def. Amie Cloer (ASH) 6-2, 6-1
1. Niltooli Wilkins/Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Emily McNall/Christine Boissevain (ASH) 8-3
2. Annette Rios/Kayla Gammie (UNCG) def. Zoe Hamel/Devon Cavanaugh (ASH) 8-3
3. Devon Sutherland/Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) def. Jenna Dodge/Amryn Soldier (ASH) 8-4
UNC Asheville 1-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,1,5,3,2,4)
- UNCG -