GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNCG's women's tennis team evened its record Saturday, rolling to a 6-1 win over East Carolina at the Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center.
The Spartans (2-2) got things going with a sweep in doubles play. Kayla Gammie and Annette Rios made short work of Renata Bakieva and Abby Richmond at No. 3, cruising to an 8-1 win. Devon Sutherland and Alex Whitehead clinched the point for UNCG at No. 2, taking an 8-3 win over Natalie Collins and Dana Gray.
At No. 1, UNCG's 40th-ranked duo of Lucy Dougherty and Niltooli Wilkins took an 8-4 win over Danielle Terpko and Yilian Zhang to complete the doubles sweep.
In singles play, Dougherty picked up the Spartans' first win, 6-1, 6-0 over Terpko at No. 4. Rios followed suit with a 6-0, 6-2 triumph over Gray at No. 5 and freshman Stephanie Falcon clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Richmond at No. 6.
Wilkins dropped Zhang at No. 1, 6-3, 6-3, before ECU (1-4) earned its lone win of the day at No. 2, where Collins topped Dilara Yurtkuran by the same score. Whitehead wrapped things up with a 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6) win over Bakieva at No. 3.
UNCG returns to action when it hosts Gardner-Webb on Feb. 21 at the UNCG Tennis Courts. That match is slated for a 2 p.m. start.
UNCG 6, East Carolina 1
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Yilian Zhang (ECU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Natalie Collins (ECU) def. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) 6-3, 6-3
3. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Renata Bakieva (ECU) 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) def. Danielle Terpko (ECU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Annette Rios (UNCG) def. Dana Gray (ECU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) def. Abby Richmond (ECU) 6-1, 6-2
1. #40 Lucy Dougherty/Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Danielle Terpko/Yilian Zhang (ECU) 8-4
2. Devon Sutherland/Alex Whitehead (UNCG) def. Natalie Collins/Dana Gray (ECU) 8-3
3. Kayla Gammie/Annette Rios (UNCG) def. Renata Bakieva/Abby Richmond (ECU) 8-1
East Carolina 1-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,5,6,1,2,3)
- UNCG -