BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – UNCG's women's tennis team opened Southern Conference play with a 5-2 win at Samford on Saturday at the Samford Tennis Center.
The Spartans (6-4, 1-0 SoCon) swept through doubles action to gain the early 1-0 advantage. Alex Whitehead and Devon Sutherland grabbed an 8-5 win over Rebecca Kirven and Madelie Janse Van Rensburg at No. 2 and Annette Rios and Kayla Gammie clinched the point with an 8-6 win over Stephanie N'tcha and Adri Lochner at No. 3.
Niltooli Wilkins and Lucy Dougherty, who moved back into the national rankings at No. 66 this week, picked up an 8-6 win over Kristen Lewis and Lindsey Mallory at No. 1 to complete the sweep.
Wilkins finished up first in singles play, downing Lewis at No. 1, 6-2, 6-3. Rensburg put Samford (9-3, 1-2 SoCon) on the board with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Dilara Yurtkuran at No. 2, and N'tcha tied the match for the Bulldogs with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Whitehead at No. 3.
The bottom of the Spartans' lineup took over from there, with Dougherty picking up a 7-6 (7-4), 6-1 win over Kirven at No. 5 and Stephanie Falcon clinching the match with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Jessica Diamond at No. 6.
Rios put the icing on the cake with a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 win over Mallory at No. 4.
UNCG is back in action Sunday at Chattanooga for a 1 p.m. match. That start time was moved up from 1:30 p.m.
UNCG 5, Samford 2
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Kristin Lewis (SAM) 6-2, 6-3
2. M.Janse Van Rensburg (SAM) def. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) 6-3, 6-0
3. Stephanie N'tcha (SAM) def. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) 6-4, 6-4
4. Annette Rios (UNCG) def. Lindsey Mallory (SAM) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
5. Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) def. Rebecca Kirven (SAM) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
6. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) def. Jessica Diamond (SAM) 6-4, 7-5
1. #66 Niltooli Wilkins/Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) def. Kristin Lewis/Lindsey Mallory (SAM) 8-6
2. Alex Whitehead/Devon Sutherland (UNCG) def. Rebecca Kirven/M.Janse Van Rensburg (SAM) 8-5
3. Annette Rios/Kayla Gammie (UNCG) def. Stephanie N'tcha/Adri Lochner (SAM) 8-6
UNCG 6-4, 1-0 SoCon
Samford 9-3, 1-2 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,2,3,5,6,4)
- UNCG -