UNCG tries to stay perfect in SoCon play at Davidson on Wednesday
UNCG (7-4, 2-0 SoCon) at Davidson (3-9, 0-1 SoCon), March 21, 3:30 p.m., Davidson, N.C.
- UNCG is back in action Davidson on Wednesday in a match that was moved up a day from its originally scheduled date. The Spartans will look to remain unbeaten in Southern Conference play.
- The Spartans opened league play 2-0 with 5-2 wins at Samford and Chattanooga over the weekend. Niltooli Wilkins, Lucy Dougherty and Stephanie Falcon each went 2-0 in singles, while the doubles duos of Devon Sutherland and Alex Whitehead and Kayla Gammie and Annette Rios were each 2-0. Wilkins and Dougherty, who re-entered the national rankings at No. 66 last week, went 1-1, winning at Samford and losing at Chattanooga.
- UNCG is one of just three unbeaten teams in SoCon play. College of Charleston is 5-0 against league opponents, while Furman is 1-0.
- Wilkins was named the SoCon Player of the Month for February. She went 8-0 in the month, going 4-0 in both singles and doubles.
- Wilkins paces UNCG with a 20-6 singles record and is 10-1 in dual play, all at No. 1. She has won 10 straight since opening the dual campaign with a 7-5, 7-5 loss to No. 44 Zoe De Bruycker of North Carolina on Jan. 18. With 20 wins to her credit and at least 11 matches left on UNCG's schedule, Wilkins has a chance to surpass the school record of 29 set by Alejandra Guerra in 2009.
- Falcon, a freshman, is second on the squad with an 18-6 record (7-4 dual), while Sutherland is 10-7 overall and 3-1 in dual play and Rios is 10-11 overall and 6-5 in duals.
- In doubles play, Wilkins and Dougherty, who have been ranked as high as 40th nationally this season, are 16-8 so far on the season with a 7-3 dual mark. Whitehead and Sutherland are 5-1 together at No. 2, while Gammie and Rios are 9-3 with a 7-1 dual mark, mostly at No. 3, and have won five straight.
- The Spartans are in the midst of a seven-match road swing, which started at Longwood on March 1. After Wednesday's match, UNCG will play at Western Carolina on Saturday before finally returning home on Sunday to host Georgia Southern.
- UNCG is 4-2 in true road matches this year, with losses at No. 4 North Carolina and at Charleston Southern.
- After a stretch of three wins in four matches, the Wildcats have lost five straight to slip to 3-9 on the season. Davidson opened SoCon play with a 6-1 loss to Elon on March 11.
- Last time out, the Wildcats fell 4-0 to Boston University in a neutral-site match in Charleston, S.C., on Saturday.
- Brites Moniz-Soares leads Davidson with an 8-3 dual mark on the year, including a 7-1 record at No. 2. She is the only Wildcat player with a winning singles record.
- In doubles, Moniz-Soares and Katharine Dicconson are 6-3 together with a 5-3 record at No. 2.
- UNCG cruised to a 7-0 win over Davidson in last season's meeting, sweeping singles play and winning two of the three doubles matches.
- The Spartans competed in the Davidson Fall Invitational in September. UNCG went 7-1 against the Wildcats in singles play on the weekend and 3-0 in doubles action.
- The teams were also both in the Wake Forest Invitational and the USTA/ITA Regional Championships in Chapel Hill, N.C., in the fall. At the Wake Forest Invite, Sutherland beat Davidson's Catherine Wood and Gammie beat Blake Nickels in singles play. Wilkins and Dougherty beat the Wildcats' Nisha Crouser and Stephani Synn in doubles play at the USTA/ITA regional.
- UNCG -