Spartans cruise past Davidson, 6-1
DAVIDSON, N.C. – UNCG's women's tennis team rolled to its third straight win Wednesday, topping Davidson 6-1 at the Covington Tennis Courts to remain perfect in Southern Conference play.
The Spartans (8-4, 3-0 SoCon) swept through doubles play and picked up five singles wins in handing the Wildcats (3-10, 0-2 SoCon) their sixth straight defeat.
Annette Rios and Kayla Gammie got the ball rolling for UNCG with an 8-2 win over Elise Held and Frizzi Bschorer at No. 3 doubles, and the Spartans' 66th-ranked duo of Lucy Dougherty and Niltooli Wilkins clinched the point with an 8-3 win over Nisha Crouser and Stephani Synn at No. 1. Alex Whitehead, the reigning SoCon Student-Athlete of the Week, and Devon Sutherland completed the doubles sweep with an 8-6 win over Katharine Dicconson and Brites Moniz-Soares at No. 2.
In singles play, Rios crushed Crouser, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 3 to quickly make it 2-0 in UNCG's favor. Dougherty followed with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Crouser at No. 4 and Wilkins clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Synn at No. 1.
Sutherland picked up the victory at No. 6 in a super tiebreaker, downing Bschorer by a 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7) score. Stephanie Falcon earned a 7-5, 7-5 win over Catherine Wood at No. 5 to make it 6-0.
Moniz-Soares broke up the shutout at No. 2, squeaking past Whitehead, 7-6 (9-7), 5-7, 1-0 (10-3).
UNCG is back on the courts Saturday at Western Carolina, when it will conclude a seven-match road swing. The contest is set for a 1 p.m. start in Cullowhee, N.C.
UNCG 6, Davidson 1
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Stephani Synn (DAV) 6-1, 6-1
2. Brites Moniz-Soares (DAV) def. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) 7-6 (9-7), 5-7, 1-0 (10-3)
3. Annette Rios (UNCG) def. Nisha Crouser (DAV) 6-0, 6-1
4. Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) def. Katharine Dicconson (DAV) 6-1, 6-2
5. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) def. Catherine Wood (DAV) 7-5, 7-5
6. Devon Sutherland (UNCG) def. Frizzi Bschorer (DAV) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
1. #66 Niltooli Wilkins/Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) def. Nisha Crouser/Stephani Synn (DAV) 8-3
2. Alex Whitehead/Devon Sutherland (UNCG) def. Katharine Dicconson/Brites Moniz-Soares (DAV) 8-6
3. Annette Rios/Kayla Gammie (UNCG) def. Elise Held/Frizzi Bschorer (DAV) 8-2
UNCG 8-4, 3-0 SoCon
Davidson 3-10, 0-2 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,4,1,6,5,2)
- UNCG -