Women's Tennis Drops Match Against Marshall, 5-2
HUNTINGTON, W. VA. – The UNCG women's tennis team lost its first match of the weekend against Marshall Friday, March 1. The Blue and Gold now hold a 3-4 record going into the match against Old Dominion tomorrow.
The Spartans won two out of three doubles matches earning them the doubles point.
In singles play, Wilkins dropped her match against Zapranza, 6-4, 6-1.
Yurtkuran fought hard against Voscekova, but lost 6-2, 6-4, 7-5 in three sets.
Whitehead lost 6-1, 6-1 against to Oppinger, while Rios picked up a 6-2, 6-3 win against Kai Broomfield.
Falcon dropped a tough two sets to Kucin, 6-1, 6-4, while freshman Soumeya Anane (Coventry, Great Britain/Tile Hill Wood School) lost 6-2, 7-6 (7-4) to Timko in a second-set tiebreaker.
UNCG will return to action tomorrow, Saturday, March 2, when they face Old Dominion in Huntington, W. Va. at 12 p.m.
UNCG vs. Marshall (March 1, 2013)
1. Zapranza/Voscekova (Marshall) def. Wilkins/Whitehead (UNCG), 8-4
2. Rios/Gammie (UNCG) def. Ball/Kucin (Marshall), 8-5
3. Yurtkuran/Falcon (UNCG) def. Timko/Oppinger (Marshall), 8-6
1. Dominika Zapranza (Marshall) def. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG), 6-4, 1-6
2.Maria Voscekova (Marshall) def. Dilara Yurtkuran (UNCG) 6-2, 6-4, 7-5
3. Dana Oppinger (Marshall) def. Alex Whitehead (UNCG), 6-1, 6-1
4. Annette Rios (UNCG) def. Kai Broomfield (Marshall), 6-3, 6-2
5. Kara Kucin (Marshall) def. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG), 6-1, 6-4
6. Karly Timko (Marshall) def. Soumeya Anane (UNCG), 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
- UNCG -