UNCG at Southern Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships, Feb. 26-27, Clemson, S.C., Clemson Indoor Track & Field Complex
- After a strong indoor track season that saw numerous school records fall, the UNCG track team will travel to Clemson, S.C. this weekend for the 2011 Southern Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships at the Clemson Indoor Track and Field Complex.
- Action gets underway beginning at 10 a.m. on Saturday with action wrapping up at 6:40 p.m. with the men's distance medley relay. Competition will resume on Sunday at 9:15 a.m. and concluding with the awards ceremony at 4:40 p.m.
- Michelle Chewens, Ginny Cronley, Anna Grimes, Shannon Hall, Kerry Hartman, Ashley Schnell, Chelsea Sumney and Shaina Sumney will be competing for the women's team in the 800 meters, mile, 3,000 meters, 5,000 meters and distance medley relay.
- It will be just Brian Carrington, Andy Clyne, Jermaine Coore, Kenny Hinman, Paul Katam, Joey Thompson and Ben Vasquez running for the men's team in the mile, 3,000 meters and 5,000 meters.
- At the Tiger Paw Invitational two weekends ago, Ashley Schnell broke the school record in the 800 meters at the Tiger Paw Invitational. Her time of 2:19.07 was nearly three seconds better than the previous school record set in 2008. The women's distance medley relay team also set a new school record by nearly 12 seconds.
- Back on Feb. 5, Ashley Schnell was the lone Spartan to compete at the Meyo Invitational. At the meet, she set another school record as she broke the previous mark in the 3,000 meters by just under 10 seconds with a time of 9:39.73. Her time was good enough for seventh place in the seeded race at the prestigious event.
- For her efforts at the Meyo Invitational, Schnell was named the Southern Conference Co-Athlete of the Week for women's indoor track. She shared the award with College of Charleston's Dena O'Brien.
- UNCG also competed at the Niswonger Invitational, where a majority of the team competed. Joey Thompson had a nice showing at the meet as he was edged out in the 3,000 meter race to earn runner-up honors after running a 8:40.20.
- Paul Katam also had a nice showing on the men's side at the Niswonger as he finished in fourth place in the 5,000 meters. His time of 14:57.40 was the second-best time in school history in the event, just seven seconds off teammate Mike Koech's school record he set last season.
- Kerry Hartman and Shaina Sumney set the third- and fourth-best time in the 3,000 meters at the Niswonger for the women's team. Hartman finished in fourth place in a time of 10:13.07, while Sumney came in seventh place after completing the race in a time of 10:24.21.
- At the Liberty Open, Schnell shattered the previous school record in the mile. Schnell ran a time of 5:00.68 to claim first place in the event and beat Jess Weber's 2006 school record by over 13 seconds.
- Shaina Sumney also broke one of Weber's school records last weekend as she sent a new top mark in the 800 meters by winning the event. Her time of 2:20.60 bested Weber's time by 1.15 seconds that she set in 2008.
- The Spartan men also had a nice showing at the Liberty Open as the team came away with a 1-2 finish in the mile. Thompson edged out teammate Jermaine Coore by just three tenths of a second as they ran a 4:24.95 and a 4:25.22, respectively.
- UNCG -