UNCG (4-0) vs. Wingate (0-0), Aug. 30, 6:45 p.m., Fleming Gymnasium
- Coming off a great first weekend, UNCG is set to host Wingate on Monday at 6:45 in Fleming Gymnasium for an exhibition match.
- Last weekend, the Spartans kicked off their season by claiming the Spartan Classic title in Norfolk, Va. On Friday, UNCG swept Navy, 3-0, to begin the tournament before defeating Kent State, 3-1. UNCG came back on Saturday and beat host Norfolk State in five sets and then dismantled Providence, 3-1.
- It will be the first meeting for the Spartans against Wingate when the two teams meet on Monday.
- Wingate, who has yet to begin its season, is the four-time defending South Atlantic Conference regular season and tournament champion. The Bulldogs were picked to win the league again this season by the head coaches in the conference and had five members earn preseason all-conference honors.
- UNCG returns eight players, including four starters, from the 2009 squad that went 17-14 overall and 9-7 in the Southern Conference. The Spartans finished the season tied for third in the North Division and missed making the postseason by one game.
- Last week, the Spartans were tabbed to finish in fourth place in the North Division by the head coaches in the SoCon. Samford was picked to win the North Division, while reigning SoCon Tournament Champion College of Charleston was chosen to claim the South Division.
- The Spartans welcome seven newcomers to the program this year. Sarah Eldridge comes in as a junior after transferring from a successful two years at Cowley County Community College, while Karrian Chambers, Samantha Deutchman, Lara Keyes, Kellie Orewiler, Karen Stedman and Savannah Tomlinson enter as freshman.
- The Spartans lost three seniors to graduation at the completion of the 2009 season, none greater than Catherine Hanners. Upon the completion of the season, she was named the SoCon Libero of the Year, as well as earning second-team All-SoCon honors.
- UNCG -